Home »  » It arrived! » Golden Dice, less gold?
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
icon4.gif  Golden Dice, less gold? [message #47869] Fri, 04 May 2012 13:21 UTC Go to next message
avatar 1ko  is currently offline 1ko
Go to my shop
After a test print, I ordered a dozen commemorative dice for my local Role playing games club.

I must say that I'm a bit disappointed by this new order.

First, the Gold finish looks between silver and real gold. Comparing to the first die I ordered, the color is clearly different.

index.php?t=getfile&id=16563&private=0

I tried the polish finish. Due to the very detailed nature of the model I didn't expect much about this process. Actually it's really hard to distinguish the polished from the rough ones...
But worst, the polished dice have small grains (like sand) stuck in the corners of the model. The bad thing is that this grains where there during the gold plating process, because of this, when I tried to carefully remove them, rough steel is visible in some areas where the gold was on the grains.
index.php?t=getfile&id=16564&private=0

• Attachment: dscn0022.jpg
    (Size: 602.29KB, Downloaded 288 time(s))

• Attachment: grains.jpg
    (Size: 518.60KB, Downloaded 283 time(s))

Re: Golden Dice, less gold? [message #47875 is a reply to message #47869 ] Fri, 04 May 2012 13:54 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Youknowwho4eva  is currently offline Youknowwho4eva
Go to my shop
I work here
I can say I've seen the grains before. They are support material, used in the baking process I believe. As for the other issues, email service@shapeways.com with order numbers, and images to get them looking into it.

Your friendly neighborhood Moderman
michael@shapeways.com
Re: Golden Dice, less gold? [message #47912 is a reply to message #47875 ] Fri, 04 May 2012 23:00 UTC Go to previous message
avatar stop4stuff  is currently offline stop4stuff
Go to my shop
The grains are bits of the polishing medium (corn husk?), as Mike says get in touch with Customer Services.

Previous Topic:Iggy, the Snoozy Snail
Next Topic:H0n30 Boxcar and trucks

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.