Home » Support » Bug Reporting » The Feed - Discussion & Feedback
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
The Feed - Discussion & Feedback [message #47794] Thu, 03 May 2012 03:33 UTC Go to next message
avatar ChristianA  is currently offline ChristianA
Go to my shop
I work here
We're always hard at work here at Shapeways, striving to bring you the best possible experience. Of course, that often involves some serious bug squashing and site fixing, but we also like to get together at the end of the day (often over beers) to try to come up with some interesting ideas that can really improve the whole experience.

One topic that was brought recently was how can we visualize what is happening on Shapeways right now? There is so much awesomeness being created, shared, and brought to life, but it's not always readily apparent if you're browsing the gallery. How cool would it be if you saw what was being created, favorited, purchased, and shared with the world? Pretty cool.

We ran with the idea and quickly hacked up a feed of Shapeways activity (regarding only public models of course). It shows the following:

- The purchase of a product
- A product being favorited
- A new picture uploaded to a product
- Someone leaving a comment on a product
- A product being shared on a social network
- The total number of views that product has

Once we were finished scrappily putting this together, we took a look at what we did and shared it with our colleagues. We couldn't get enough of it. Until now, we relied on the forum and scouring the galleries to surface community activity -- now, we have a peek into the creative energy of the Shapeways community. Seeing all the activity was exciting, addictive, and felt like we were playing with a new toy! So today, we want to share our new toy with you. You can take a look at the "Feed Of The Future" right here: www.shapeways.com/feed

We'd love to hear your thoughts and suggestions!

Also, this isn't all we're up to - we still are building great tools and making improvements to improve your experience with shop management, uploading, materials, and other areas of Shapeways!
Re: The Feed - Discussion & Feedback [message #47797 is a reply to message #47794 ] Thu, 03 May 2012 06:32 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar stop4stuff  is currently offline stop4stuff
Go to my shop
The feed looks good! I notice that the number of views are shown with each model activity, please can we have the number of views back on our models pages?
Re: The Feed - Discussion & Feedback [message #47801 is a reply to message #47794 ] Thu, 03 May 2012 08:28 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
How about having the title of the model with the images too?

Re: The Feed - Discussion & Feedback [message #47803 is a reply to message #47794 ] Thu, 03 May 2012 08:46 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
A bug with the feed page, clicking on an image does nothing (XP + IE8).

[edit] Actually, now that I've loaded the page in Chrome, I see the page is broken in IE8 - the facebook & twitter links are missing. Seems to work fine in Chrome though.

[Updated on: Thu, 03 May 2012 08:52 UTC]

Re: The Feed - Discussion & Feedback [message #47840 is a reply to message #47794 ] Thu, 03 May 2012 20:14 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Is it just me that pays attention to this stuff?*

Anyhow...

Renders are not 'a picture of their product' - they are a representation of how the item might look, and I haven't a clue how this could be gixed as anyone can upload whatever image they want whether the image is related to the item or otherwise.

It looks like someone has attemped to fix the code that didn't work in IE, and now it seems that it may be the facebook stuff that's causing issues as 'pin' & partial tweet shows... nothing clickable still though Sad

*or is it just me that uses IE8?
Re: The Feed - Discussion & Feedback [message #47844 is a reply to message #47840 ] Thu, 03 May 2012 22:54 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar ChristianA  is currently offline ChristianA
Go to my shop
I work here
Hey Paul,

We just released a couple of changes and fixes for the feed! This should resolve the issues you've encountered with IE8. Let us know!
Re: The Feed - Discussion & Feedback [message #47855 is a reply to message #47844 ] Fri, 04 May 2012 06:29 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Very Happy

Works fine now.
Re: The Feed - Discussion & Feedback [message #47859 is a reply to message #47855 ] Fri, 04 May 2012 08:25 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Magic  is currently offline Magic
Go to my shop
Just discovered this page.
Wow! This is great! Very good idea, indeed!

I'd like, as Paul said, having the title of the model but also the material in which the model has been ordered, the number of models ordered (not the overall total, just the total of the order: I mean if someone ordered say two rings having the following text :
"Someone ordered 2 'Dragon Ring' in White Strong and Flexible.'

This is real time but what about a summary for the day? For instance what about several people ordering the same model the same day?
"3 people ordered 3 'Dragon Ring', 2 in Stainless Steel, 1 in Red Strong and Flexible"

One last thing: I'd like to have more models in one page. All sems huge (image, the text under the image. Perhaps we could have 4 or 5 images per line?

Thanks again for this nice addition.

[Edit] What about adding filters? See only sold models or favorite models or added comments etc.

[Updated on: Fri, 04 May 2012 08:35 UTC]

So many things to design, so little time...
Re: The Feed - Discussion & Feedback [message #47877 is a reply to message #47859 ] Fri, 04 May 2012 14:11 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar bdickason  is currently offline bdickason
Go to my shop
I work here
Thanks for the feedback Paul and Magic!!

We experimented showing 1, 3, 4, and 5 products in each row. We also toyed with the idea of a 'responsive layout' (i.e. resizing to fit your browser window and displaying more items if you have a larger screen). When you add more items, the images get smaller and smaller. We're trying to avoid the issues we have with the gallery and other areas around the site in which the images are so damn small that you can barely tell what the item is!!

I love the idea of the quantity and material in-line with the order. It would only apply to purchases though, not favorites/ratings/comments/etc (As we don't do those per-material currently).

Filters would be great.

Would you want sold/favorite? Or would you want to filter by your favorite tag or category?

For example, I envision being able to say "Show me the feed for Model Trains in 1/144 Scale."

Or perhaps "I followed these 6 designers. Show me the feed for all activity across the shops I followed."

Thoughts?

Director of Product - Shapeways
Re: The Feed - Discussion & Feedback [message #47905 is a reply to message #47877 ] Fri, 04 May 2012 21:08 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
I would just love to be able to browse through uploaded models, I imagine this can be done with a feed filter, yes?

Also just being able to enter in a model number and get back the model page would be cool too (semi related to 'your model has been shipped' email message)

Dynamic page sizing doesn't need to re-size images, just have a small, medium or large image button somewhere on the page, the default could be medium, and give the viewer the choice of changing if they want. I prefer smaller images so I don't have to scroll down 3, 7 or 20 times to see the whole page (anyone remember the old skool web design rule, KISS? A 120kB webpage including images and jscript dynamics back in the day of dialup was easily do-able for fast loading and smooth running, why have things changed so much?)

I would also suggest not to get ahead on something new until other exsisting issues are fixed.
Re: The Feed - Discussion & Feedback [message #47984 is a reply to message #47905 ] Mon, 07 May 2012 12:23 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Initially, I thought filters would be nice to exclude some categories of information I did not want, such as people adding comments, or shop owners adding pictures.
But being able to filter by shop or even by tag could be great.
For instance, I'd like to be able to see what happens in my own shop.

I have also some remarks about the informations given by the feed. This new information are really great. But like Paul, I regret that they are not available elsewhere:
- the number of view of a model
- the numbers of favorites of a models and who added this model to his favorites
- who gave that numbers of stars to this model
- etc.

For instance the feed says that this model has been added to the favorite of three persons (see image bellow). How do i access this information (except from the feed when this model is bought)? I tried being logged and unlogged, and still i cannot see this data...

index.php?t=getfile&id=16632&private=0

• Attachment: feed.png
    (Size: 825.26KB, Downloaded 272 time(s))

Re: The Feed - Discussion & Feedback [message #48010 is a reply to message #47984 ] Mon, 07 May 2012 18:38 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
The favourited information used to be on the model page, same as the number of views.

I am also beginning to think that the star rating should be anonymous, as it is on the model page. Also it would be good to show the overall star rating on the model page so that designers get a general idea of feedback (this used to be the case)

And please fix exsisting issues before bringing out new stuff. imo, releasing new stuff before fixing issues with old stuff shows the same level of customer awareness as M$ Confused

Re: The Feed - Discussion & Feedback [message #48133 is a reply to message #47794 ] Wed, 09 May 2012 18:34 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar aegidian  is currently offline aegidian
Go to my shop
Why am I seeing sales on the feed that for which I haven't yet received email notifications? It's somewhat disturbing.

index.php?t=getfile&id=16705&private=0

Purchases at 18.01 and 18.05 no email as of 19.32.

Re: The Feed - Discussion & Feedback [message #48143 is a reply to message #48133 ] Wed, 09 May 2012 20:05 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar stonysmith  is currently offline stonysmith
Go to my shop
aegidian wrote on Wed, 09 May 2012 18:34

Why am I seeing sales on the feed that for which I haven't yet received email notifications? It's somewhat disturbing.

Purchases at 18.01 and 18.05 no email as of 19.32.

- I don't get individual emails.. I only get a single email a few minutes after 01:00am CDT every day.

- Could these items be setup with no markup in some materials? That would cause you to not be notified. If any one material has $0 markup, then that sales of that model+material won't be reported to you. Use the Markup CSV to check that.

- The other major suggestion is check your Order Overview Spreadsheet. All sales that have any markup, even any you've not been notified about yet, are listed there.

[Updated on: Wed, 09 May 2012 20:05 UTC]

Patience, Persistance, Politeness - the 3Ps will help us get us to Perfect Printed Products
Re: The Feed - Discussion & Feedback [message #48146 is a reply to message #48143 ] Wed, 09 May 2012 20:23 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
I'm used to receiving emails as the sales are made, usually within a few minutes of the time stated in the notification.

I checked the markup and I checked the overview. Neither of the models have any material option with zero markup set, both the sales appeared in the overview xls.

Looking at the feed now (21.19) the sale of the dice set has disappeared, the single d20 remains but no email has been received.

A fresh dl of the overview xls (21.22) still shows both sales.

Is this perhaps a result of the sales being as yet unconfirmed (ie. not yet paid for by the purchaser?)
Re: The Feed - Discussion & Feedback [message #48147 is a reply to message #48146 ] Wed, 09 May 2012 20:42 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
looks like forum email notifcations are broken, however sale notifications usually head my way at 08:00hrs GMT every day with a list of what's been purchased on the previous day
Re: The Feed - Discussion & Feedback [message #48149 is a reply to message #48147 ] Wed, 09 May 2012 20:53 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
My experience to date has been that I receive individual notifications of sales within a few minutes of the purchase being made.

I appreciate other users have a different experience (sales summaries would make sense for people making more sales than me - I make two or three sales a day at best!)

Perhaps my sales today hit some sort of limit whereafter I'll receive a sales summary rather than an individual email?
Re: The Feed - Discussion & Feedback [message #48153 is a reply to message #48149 ] Wed, 09 May 2012 22:48 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
my sales can be intermitant, sometimes none for 3 days, somtimes 5+ in one day - but the 08:00 notification has been the norm since I started on Shapeways

Re: The Feed - Discussion & Feedback [message #48170 is a reply to message #48153 ] Thu, 10 May 2012 05:01 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
stop4stuff wrote on Wed, 09 May 2012 22:48

my sales can be intermitant, sometimes none for 3 days, somtimes 5+ in one day - but the 08:00 notification has been the norm since I started on Shapeways

Yes, I understand that's what you've been getting. My experience has been different to that, thus far I've received individual emails, throughout the day, often within a few minutes of the purchase being made.

I'm wondering if the difference in what we've experienced might be part of a bigger problem with SW's email notification system - and I also still feel that seeing sales on the feed page (esp. sales that then disappear) before receiving a personal notification is an unsettling experience.
Re: The Feed - Discussion & Feedback [message #48178 is a reply to message #47794 ] Thu, 10 May 2012 08:55 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar virtox  is currently offline virtox
Go to my shop
Out of curiosity, could you post a (censored) example of such an individual sales email, as I am not familiar with those.

Do you get a pdf (so<nr>.pdf) with sales info with each email?

And perhaps there are some hickups in the new feed. I have seen some sales being reported as double there.

But in my experience the order overview.xls is a real time feed of sales. So I always consider that leading.

Cheers,

Stijn

- Artist / Engineer / Designer / Shopowner / Volunteer / Moderator -
Re: The Feed - Discussion & Feedback [message #48215 is a reply to message #48178 ] Thu, 10 May 2012 19:53 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
virtox wrote on Thu, 10 May 2012 08:55

Out of curiosity, could you post a (censored) example of such an individual sales email, as I am not familiar with those.

Well, just so my face gets good and red. I got an email with the sales information this morning at 7.00 (8.00 Netherlands time.)

I have previously received emails at various times in the day, and seen that they corresponded with the times shown in the feed. They are exactly the same as everyone else's emails, with a single sale usually (rather than list of models sold) and an attached pdf of the details.

This time I got the sales summary this morning a few hours after the feed showed the sales. I had assumed that emails got sent when the sales are made, but it makes sense that they actually get sent out when the production process begins, which may mean that the email isn't sent until work begins in the morning.

As I indicated, I just hadn't put the proper thought into how the process might work. Embarrassing. Embarassed
Re: The Feed - Discussion & Feedback [message #48216 is a reply to message #48215 ] Thu, 10 May 2012 19:59 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
No need to be embarrassed Smile

I understand the confusion this change might have caused.
Thanks for clearing it up.

Cheers,

Stijn

[Updated on: Thu, 10 May 2012 20:01 UTC]

Re: The Feed - Discussion & Feedback [message #48278 is a reply to message #48216 ] Fri, 11 May 2012 18:54 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar natalia  is currently offline natalia
Go to all my models
I work here
Ha! Late to the game, but yes indeed that is how it works.I'm glad you were able to help each other out!

The feed is real-time, instantaneous information, whereas the emails to sellers are batched, so there may be some delay.

Cheers,
Natalia

Shapeways Community Manager
Re: The Feed - Discussion & Feedback [message #48659 is a reply to message #48278 ] Fri, 18 May 2012 20:07 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Note that the Feed only Show public models (as expected) that are available for sale (not so obvious).

And it does not alert when a new model is uploaded. Only when new pictures are uploaded. If I understand well the mechanism, uploading a second picture generates a new alert but makes the previous alert disappear.

Re: The Feed - Discussion & Feedback [message #48661 is a reply to message #47794 ] Fri, 18 May 2012 20:13 UTC Go to previous message
Go to my shop
Yes it looks like the last alert (any) removes previous alerts for that product, seems logical not to clutter it.

The "view" count seems quite static in the feed.

Co-creators purchases are not shown in the feed?

Oh and perhaps a trigger when a video is added?

[Updated on: Fri, 18 May 2012 20:20 UTC]

Previous Topic:Model Page Problems - Uploads and Deletions
Next Topic:Model Available / Not Available views

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.