Home » Support » 3D Design » How to Convert a STL file to 1 solid object
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
How to Convert a STL file to 1 solid object [message #47731] Wed, 02 May 2012 01:05 UTC Go to next message
avatar atatassault  is currently offline atatassault
Go to all my models
I've got several STL files of starships, but they all have interior geometry, and I think Shapeways is hollowing out the object when I upload it.

I cant figure out a way to create a solid object using solely the exterior geometry. Can anybody here help me?
Re: How to Convert a STL file to 1 solid object [message #47732 is a reply to message #47731 ] Wed, 02 May 2012 01:18 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar damocles  is currently offline damocles
Go to all my models
Shapeways isn't doing a hollow-out operation. If you're seeing something like that, it's because of the data you're providing (for whatever reason).

If your software doesn't have a tool which explicitly does this sort of thing, you could do it with boolean ops. For example:

Make solid which bounds the object
Subtract object from solid
Make solid which fills hole
Subtract intermediate result above from second solid

You may have to do fore and aft sections then union the result depending on how your software feels about solids with holes in the middle.
Re: How to Convert a STL file to 1 solid object [message #47733 is a reply to message #47732 ] Wed, 02 May 2012 01:54 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
I tried doing that method, and the Software I have, 3DS Max, likes to subtract the bounding box of a solid with holes in it. And due to the interior geometry of my original file that I'm trying to recreate as a solid, the hole isnt a complete void, but more like a negative of the model.

[Updated on: Wed, 02 May 2012 01:56 UTC]

Re: How to Convert a STL file to 1 solid object [message #47750 is a reply to message #47733 ] Wed, 02 May 2012 11:58 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar stop4stuff  is currently offline stop4stuff
Go to my shop
For Shapeways to make the model hollow with the interior geometry intact, there is a tunnel joining the interior shell(s) to the exterior shell(s) - eliminate the tunnel and it doesn't matter if the internal geometry is still there, Shapeways software will delete it and only go by the exterior shell.

If you get stuck, send me a PM with the stl and I'll have a look at it.

Paul
Re: How to Convert a STL file to 1 solid object [message #47789 is a reply to message #47750 ] Thu, 03 May 2012 00:32 UTC Go to previous message
Go to all my models
stop4stuff wrote on Wed, 02 May 2012 11:58

For Shapeways to make the model hollow with the interior geometry intact, there is a tunnel joining the interior shell(s) to the exterior shell(s) - eliminate the tunnel and it doesn't matter if the internal geometry is still there, Shapeways software will delete it and only go by the exterior shell.

If you get stuck, send me a PM with the stl and I'll have a look at it.

Paul
Thanks, that helped a lot. I got it working.

Previous Topic:Mesh Help Please
Next Topic:STL scaled by 2.54