SS Celtic knot ring

Discussion in 'My Shapeways Order Arrived' started by bradykineticcuriosities, Apr 23, 2012.

1. bradykineticcuriosities
    bradykineticcuriosities Well-Known Member
    My first go in Stainless...

100_1820.JPG

100_1821.JPG

2. Youknowwho4eva
    Youknowwho4eva Well-Known Member
    So what are your first impressions?

3. bradykineticcuriosities
    The SS really lends itself to a rustic, aged appearance - I showed it to my father and he initially thought it was an antique.

The engravings on the inside (coordinates and a BCS script) really came out crisp after some light sanding, I was really impressed by that.

The ID did shrink by a little over 1%, but some careful sanding took care of that.

Overall, I am extremely happy of how it turned out!

4. bradykineticcuriosities
    I should have done more research on this, but the bronze infused stainless will leave rust marks on my finger after a shower or washing my hands.

I'm seeing how effective a sealant will be.

5. I really like the look of this - I love Celtic designs.

Hope the sealant works!

6. bradykineticcuriosities
    The sealant seems to be working - no rust is forming.

I had applied a few light coats of superglue, with the only downside being that the ring feels like plastic. Because of this I won't be using stainless in any rings or the like.

7. Youknowwho4eva
    Youknowwho4eva Well-Known Member
    have you looked in post production techniques for other methods of sealing the stainless?

8. bradykineticcuriosities
    Yeah, I looked into plating, but I decided it would be more worthwhile to use a higher quality base material (like silver) instead of adding cost and complexity to a cheaper material.

9. Some form of enamel coating would probably be ideal. I've never seen this issue though, maybe it was something weird with the batch?

Silver is still easily the process most suited to jewelry. It's based on the lost-wax method which is widely used for exactly that. But you have to add your own texturing.