Home » Community » 3D modeler needed » Can things on Shapeways be designed with a hinged lid?
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Can things on Shapeways be designed with a hinged lid? [message #47382] Mon, 23 April 2012 15:34 UTC Go to next message
avatar yuppicide  is currently offline yuppicide
Go to all my models
I'll describe what I am after. This is a Mother's Day present, but doesn't have to be completed by then. Just something I'd like to get done.

I'd like a rectangle box made with a hollow inside. The dimensions will be about 14 inches tall x 12 inches wide x 3 or 4 inches deep.

The top would have a hinged lid, and the bottom would have a hole in it. The back I'd like two slots you can put nails or screws into a wall and hang the box by that.

The box will be used to hold plastic grocery bags.

My Grandfather made one out of wood a long time ago and it sits in my Grandmother's house. It holds a lot of bags.. you can keep stuffing them in the top.

My Mom really likes it. I'd like to get one made for her. I'd like to be able to paint a design on the front.

How much do you think it would cost to get something made like this? How much would you charge me to get the CAD file made?
Re: Can things on Shapeways be designed with a hinged lid? [message #47383 is a reply to message #47382 ] Mon, 23 April 2012 15:56 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar stop4stuff  is currently offline stop4stuff
Go to my shop
I'd create the basic box for free and then add the design. The cost for the design would depend on how complex the design is. A rough estimate of the 3D print price in WSF would be in the region of $80 to $100* allowing for upto 2mm wall thickness.

Send a PM or email to discuss further.

Cheers,
Paul
paul[at]stop4stuff[dot]com

[edit] * I messed up the estimate, see Stony's link below. Embarassed

[Updated on: Mon, 23 April 2012 18:15 UTC]

Re: Can things on Shapeways be designed with a hinged lid? [message #47387 is a reply to message #47383 ] Mon, 23 April 2012 18:11 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar stonysmith  is currently offline stonysmith
Go to my shop
Paul.. I think your cost estimate is a bit low:

http://www.stonysmith.com/wired/VolumeEstimator.asp?L=356&am p;W=305&H=100&T=2

Patience, Persistance, Politeness - the 3Ps will help us get us to Perfect Printed Products
Re: Can things on Shapeways be designed with a hinged lid? [message #47389 is a reply to message #47387 ] Mon, 23 April 2012 18:14 UTC Go to previous message
avatar stop4stuff  is currently offline stop4stuff
Go to my shop
Doh! Embarassed

Thanks for the correction.

Previous Topic:Warlock Armageddon Runestone
Next Topic:Need Artist for Camel Game Pawn

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.