Home » Support » 3D Design » Advice: Material/finish for car badge
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Advice: Material/finish for car badge [message #47354] Sun, 22 April 2012 22:26 UTC Go to next message
avatar Jay-D3000  is currently offline Jay-D3000
Go to all my models
Hello,

a friend of mine lost the car badge of his car (don't know the exact word, I'm talking about the logo on the engine hood like the jumping horse on a Ferrari) and his birthday is in June, so I thought about "3D-printing" a customized car badge for him as a birthday present.
The question is: What material and maybe finish should I use?
It should be fairly weather-resistant and good-looking (of course!) Smile
And I don't know if this is the right place to ask, but I was wondering if I could use for example Alumide and some sort of paint/varnish/finish to make it smooth and shiny and increase the durability, so if you have some ideas or experience, please share with me.

side-note: English is not my native language, so it's challanging for me to find the right words. Please bear with me and if something is hard to understand just ask and I will try to explain things better.

Thanks in advance,
Jay-D
Re: Advice: Material/finish for car badge [message #47494 is a reply to message #47354 ] Wed, 25 April 2012 19:27 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar bradykineticcuriosities  is currently offline bradykineticcuriosities
Go to my shop
Just an opinion, but I think most plastics can be weatherproofed given the right surface treatment.

Cheap option
White detail , then primer, sand, color and clear coat.

Nicer option
Silver, then buff and polish, possible clear coat.

www.bradykineticcuriosities.com A good head and a good heart are always a formidable combination.
Re: Advice: Material/finish for car badge [message #47575 is a reply to message #47494 ] Fri, 27 April 2012 13:25 UTC Go to previous message
avatar Jay-D3000  is currently offline Jay-D3000
Go to all my models
Thanks for the answer bradycustom!

I think I will print small pieces and try different combinations of color / clear coats etc.

If anyone has experience with paint and clear coats on shapeways' materials, please share with me.

Previous Topic:Pendant w/ Thread - Need Help
Next Topic:Whats good for gluing together and priming Frosted Ultra Detail parts?

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.