Advice: Material/finish for car badge

Discussion in 'Design and Modeling' started by 138760_deleted, Apr 22, 2012.

1. Hello,

a friend of mine lost the car badge of his car (don't know the exact word, I'm talking about the logo on the engine hood like the jumping horse on a Ferrari) and his birthday is in June, so I thought about "3D-printing" a customized car badge for him as a birthday present.
    The question is: What material and maybe finish should I use?
    It should be fairly weather-resistant and good-looking (of course!) :)
    And I don't know if this is the right place to ask, but I was wondering if I could use for example Alumide and some sort of paint/varnish/finish to make it smooth and shiny and increase the durability, so if you have some ideas or experience, please share with me.

side-note: English is not my native language, so it's challanging for me to find the right words. Please bear with me and if something is hard to understand just ask and I will try to explain things better.

Thanks in advance,
    Jay-D

2. bradykineticcuriosities
    bradykineticcuriosities Well-Known Member
    Just an opinion, but I think most plastics can be weatherproofed given the right surface treatment.

Cheap option
    White detail , then primer, sand, color and clear coat.

Nicer option
    Silver, then buff and polish, possible clear coat.

3. Thanks for the answer bradycustom!

I think I will print small pieces and try different combinations of color / clear coats etc.

If anyone has experience with paint and clear coats on shapeways' materials, please share with me.