Color printing from Sketchup to Shapeways

Discussion in 'Materials' started by 149729_deleted, Apr 21, 2012.

1. Hi all,

I'm a first-timer whose learned a lot from these forums (especially the generous advice from denali3designs) and other sites. So I have what might be my last two hurdles to printing:

1. When I submit my color VRML or X3D (exported from Sketchup Pro, via Meshlab) to Shapeways, it's indeed uploaded, but the color information is discarded. It's a single color; it shows up properly in Sketchup, Meshlab, and the file exported from Meshlab; but when it is uploaded to Shapeways, it shows up as gray.

Any thoughts on why/how that happens?

2. That gray uploaded file: it's a pretty small model, but the cost for the cheapest material is still over $100. Similar-sized color models in others' stores are only $10-$20.

What are a couple reasons that might be happening?

Thanks in advance for your help!

2. stop4stuff
    stop4stuff Well-Known Member
    The pricing difference that you're seeing is probably because the other models are hollow.

With the colour issue, there could be one of a few reasons.
    1. The wrong type of image file. (jpg or png only)
    2. The image file isn't in the zipped folder.
    3. The file path in the model file is wrong - see 2.5 - using a text editor - [edit] the file path should be truncated to the file name only as it is in the same folder.

If your model is coloured using face or vertex colouring, let me know and I can help with that too :)

Last edited: Apr 21, 2012
  3. stonysmith
    stonysmith Well-Known Member Moderator
    You've got the model set to Private and others can't see it.

4. stonysmith
    stonysmith Well-Known Member Moderator
    That worked. Your model should price out at around $160.00

It's nearly a centimeter thick, and 20x15cm.. that's 300cm3 of material.

If that is too expensive, depending upon what it's used for, you could "cut holes" thru it .. make it a lattice structure instead and drop out 3/4 or more of the material. It doesn't look like hollowing would be a good idea for this model, and that would only save you about 1/3 of the price.