Now Through Sunday Night. Black Friday Deals & Free Shipping! See the deals.
Home » Support » 3D Printing » Frosted Ultra Detail - Oily Residue Issue?
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Frosted Ultra Detail - Oily Residue Issue? [message #47073] Mon, 16 April 2012 17:37 UTC Go to next message
avatar Corrose  is currently offline Corrose
Go to all my models
I just received an order for a miniature I designed done in frosted detail, the work is phenomenal, but the question I have is all over the pieces is this greasy, oily residue, and I'm not sure what it is or what to do. I tried to wet my fingertip and wipe it, but it just kinda smears and wont come off. Im worried if I spray primer right on top, whatever it is may seep through the primer.

My initial thought was maybe there was some kind of oil, like a vaseline that was put on as some kind of finish, or is the material oil based, and the plastic is leaking, or something?

I'm afraid to take a damp cloth to it, as Im not sure if that will make it worse or not.

Anyone able to comment on what this is?

[Updated on: Mon, 16 April 2012 17:49 UTC]

Re: Frosted Ultra Detail - Oily Residue Issue? [message #47078 is a reply to message #47073 ] Mon, 16 April 2012 19:22 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar damocles  is currently offline damocles
Go to all my models
It's just oil (see the printing process section on the materials page). Warm water and dish soap should work, or isopropyl alcohol.
Re: Frosted Ultra Detail - Oily Residue Issue? [message #47087 is a reply to message #47078 ] Mon, 16 April 2012 23:19 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Roy_Stevens  is currently offline Roy_Stevens
Go to my shop
It is oil, corn oil I beleive. It makes the print translucent, much like how your the paint on an old car shines when you get it wet. It will ruin any paint job you try to put on your model if you don't remove it first. I recommend isopropyl alchohol and a soft toothbrush if you don't have access to an ultrasonic cleaner. Acetone and other acetone based cleaners work well on it too, I'm told.

Earl Grey, hot.
Re: Frosted Ultra Detail - Oily Residue Issue? [message #47088 is a reply to message #47087 ] Tue, 17 April 2012 00:01 UTC Go to previous message
avatar Datto  is currently offline Datto
Go to my shop
I use dishwashing liquid, or Barkeeper's friend and a toothbrush to clean up the prints. The Material is acrylic, so use caution when using solvents. Nothing cleans oil in preparation for primer better than good old Dawn dish liquid.

Previous Topic:Change orientation = Bad quality
Next Topic:using image popup without the bounding rectangle?

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.