Frosted Ultra Detail - Oily Residue Issue?

Discussion in 'Materials' started by Corrose, Apr 16, 2012.

1. Corrose
    Corrose Member
    I just received an order for a miniature I designed done in frosted detail, the work is phenomenal, but the question I have is all over the pieces is this greasy, oily residue, and I'm not sure what it is or what to do. I tried to wet my fingertip and wipe it, but it just kinda smears and wont come off. Im worried if I spray primer right on top, whatever it is may seep through the primer.

My initial thought was maybe there was some kind of oil, like a vaseline that was put on as some kind of finish, or is the material oil based, and the plastic is leaking, or something?

I'm afraid to take a damp cloth to it, as Im not sure if that will make it worse or not.

Anyone able to comment on what this is?

Last edited: Apr 16, 2012
  2. It's just oil (see the printing process section on the materials page). Warm water and dish soap should work, or isopropyl alcohol.

3. Roy_Stevens
    Roy_Stevens Member
    It is oil, corn oil I beleive. It makes the print translucent, much like how your the paint on an old car shines when you get it wet. It will ruin any paint job you try to put on your model if you don't remove it first. I recommend isopropyl alchohol and a soft toothbrush if you don't have access to an ultrasonic cleaner. Acetone and other acetone based cleaners work well on it too, I'm told.

4. Datto
    Datto Member
    I use dishwashing liquid, or Barkeeper's friend and a toothbrush to clean up the prints. The Material is acrylic, so use caution when using solvents. Nothing cleans oil in preparation for primer better than good old Dawn dish liquid.