Home » Support » Buying » Near identical product different price
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Near identical product different price [message #46917] Fri, 13 April 2012 07:55 UTC Go to next message
avatar JamesStewart  is currently offline JamesStewart
Go to all my models
Hi,

I recently uploaded a model to obtain a client quote. I was happy with the price at around 200 euros.

I passed the price on and the client gave the go ahead. I tweaked the model very slightly which resulted in about a 0.5% reduction in material.

When I uploaded the model the price jumped above 300 euros!

I have emailed the support team but have received no reply and cant understand the price.

Any help would be great.
Re: Near identical product different price [message #46921 is a reply to message #46917 ] Fri, 13 April 2012 08:50 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar TomZ  is currently offline TomZ
Go to my shop
Check out the material page for WSF: http://www.shapeways.com/materials/white_strong_flexible
"There is also a volume discount on models with a volume greater than 20cm3 and density higher than 10%. After the first 20cm3, the remaining volume is calculated with a 50% discount."

Removing the 0.5% material caused the model density to just drop below that 10%, causing a giant increase in price. We have been complaining about this oddity for ages but it's still not been fixed: http://feedback.shapeways.com/forums/111989-shapeways-feedba ck/suggestions/2472605-correct-non-monotonous-pricing-scheme
Re: Near identical product different price [message #46922 is a reply to message #46917 ] Fri, 13 April 2012 09:22 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar virtox  is currently offline virtox
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
What TomZ says and this density calculation can also be heavily influenced by the orientation of the model.

One needs to orient it so that it's bounding box is minimal.

[Updated on: Fri, 13 April 2012 09:22 UTC]

- Artist / Engineer / Designer / Shopowner / Volunteer / Moderator -
Re: Near identical product different price [message #46926 is a reply to message #46922 ] Fri, 13 April 2012 11:47 UTC Go to previous message
avatar JamesStewart  is currently offline JamesStewart
Go to all my models
Many thanks,

Both model orientations are identical.

I will try and increase the density of the second model and see how this effects the price.

Previous Topic:Volume and pricing math
Next Topic:Shopping cart empties itself

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.