Introducing 14k Gold, read more on the blog.
Home » Community » It arrived! » Final Fantasy 7 low poly Cloud Strife
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Final Fantasy 7 low poly Cloud Strife [message #46778] Wed, 11 April 2012 02:53 UTC Go to next message
avatar joabaldwin  is currently offline joabaldwin
Go to my shop
I made this because I couldn't find an original low poly version anywhere, all the figures they sell are the super hardcore detailed ones.

I love the low poly. And it was ridiculously easier to model.

Unfortunately, 3d printers don't love spiky hair... it should've been much sharper, but everything else printed great.

If you want to get one, here he is in my shop: http://www.shapeways.com/model/522293/cloud-strife-from-fina l-fantasy-7-low-poly.html

index.php?t=getfile&id=16038&private=0
index.php?t=getfile&id=16039&private=0
index.php?t=getfile&id=16040&private=0

Re: Final Fantasy 7 low poly Cloud Strife [message #46804 is a reply to message #46778 ] Wed, 11 April 2012 12:48 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar chaitanyak  is currently offline chaitanyak
Go to my shop
i did a model with tentacles once.. had the same issue.. had to fatten up the tentacles for it to print Sad

but this turned out quite good
Re: Final Fantasy 7 low poly Cloud Strife [message #46840 is a reply to message #46804 ] Thu, 12 April 2012 00:36 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar JamesSaunders  is currently offline JamesSaunders
Go to my shop
I'm curious what Shapeways' stance on shop owners making and selling cpyrighted designs (like this one). Officially, they've said they are against copyright infringement, but now they are promoting this model on their Facebook page.

I have no issue with people making a model for personal (fair) use, but it seems like this is something that should be discouraged once it is being sold.
Re: Final Fantasy 7 low poly Cloud Strife [message #46841 is a reply to message #46840 ] Thu, 12 April 2012 00:51 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Hey James. Yeah, I'm torn on that too, I originally made this one just for me but I thought people might like to have one too. The thing is, you can't buy this guy anywhere else, as far as I know they never made figurines with the low poly characters.

So yes and no and I don't know but i'll wait and see what happens.
Re: Final Fantasy 7 low poly Cloud Strife [message #46872 is a reply to message #46778 ] Thu, 12 April 2012 18:15 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar pdb  is currently offline pdb
Go to all my models
very nice model mate

i agree james......they recently blogged about the lego case.....and as much as i enjoyed it. it was a touch sketchy , not because of its similarities to lego, but the other phone case with the same natured design on it. google image: iphone lego case.

im not sure on this joabaldwin but could it be interpreted as an official model..........'we' know its not. but from speak with a few people in the community (james among them) , you need to make sure that anyone coming to this site cant mistake it for an official item
the image on your laptop. is that from FF7? they may frown on use of their property to sell an item, which isn't produced by themselves .

im just learning this stuff myself so i maybe completely wrong Rolling Eyes

sorry if thats a bit preachy ..... just a bit of advice

really nice model bud Smile

[Updated on: Thu, 12 April 2012 18:18 UTC]

boop
Re: Final Fantasy 7 low poly Cloud Strife [message #46880 is a reply to message #46778 ] Thu, 12 April 2012 18:50 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar CharGyse  is currently offline CharGyse
Go to my shop
This makes me want to do low-poly colour sandstone versions of my friends.

Enjoys spending 98 hours a week learning, making and designing stuff. The picture of me as a kid is... pretty much what you're dealing with.
Re: Final Fantasy 7 low poly Cloud Strife [message #46882 is a reply to message #46778 ] Thu, 12 April 2012 19:08 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Also, what if you put a disclaimer in the description saying something along the lines of not being affiliated with Final Fantasy or something like that to make it clear that it's not an official Final Fantasy model?

Enjoys spending 98 hours a week learning, making and designing stuff. The picture of me as a kid is... pretty much what you're dealing with.
Re: Final Fantasy 7 low poly Cloud Strife [message #46883 is a reply to message #46778 ] Thu, 12 April 2012 19:30 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Thanks guys. I'll put a little disclaimer for now. The wallpaper on my laptop is official art from the game, that they distributed freely for promotional purposes, so I don't think that one would be an issue other than maybe making it look too official.

All great input!

Oh, and the idea of low poly friends sounds awesome Smile
Re: Final Fantasy 7 low poly Cloud Strife [message #46885 is a reply to message #46882 ] Thu, 12 April 2012 19:47 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar stop4stuff  is currently offline stop4stuff
Go to my shop
CharGyse wrote on Thu, 12 April 2012 19:08

Also, what if you put a disclaimer in the description saying something along the lines of not being affiliated with Final Fantasy or something like that to make it clear that it's not an official Final Fantasy model?

Sorry, that is wrong.

Contact the Final Fantasy IP owners, Squaresoft, for confirmation of what can and cannot be done.

Re: Final Fantasy 7 low poly Cloud Strife [message #46892 is a reply to message #46885 ] Thu, 12 April 2012 21:19 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
stop4stuff wrote on Thu, 12 April 2012 19:47

CharGyse wrote on Thu, 12 April 2012 19:08

Sorry, that is wrong.

Contact the Final Fantasy IP owners, Squaresoft, for confirmation of what can and cannot be done.

Yeah... I suppose if it's something for sale rather than "fan-art" for your own self or something for fair personal use, then you might get into lots of trouble for not asking them before making it available to the public.

Re: Final Fantasy 7 low poly Cloud Strife [message #46897 is a reply to message #46892 ] Thu, 12 April 2012 22:05 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar stop4stuff  is currently offline stop4stuff
Go to my shop
oh yes, better to be safe and told 'no' than penniless Wink

Re: Final Fantasy 7 low poly Cloud Strife [message #46899 is a reply to message #46897 ] Thu, 12 April 2012 23:48 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar duann  is currently offline duann
Go to my shop
I work here
Hey All,

Getting advice from deep within the Shapeways team....

We do not tolerate copyright infringement. If we learn that a copyright is being infringed, we take the content down.

But we are also not a judge.

There are many cases where fan art or copyright has expired or product has been abandoned.

Per DMCA only the original copyright holder can send us a Take Down Notice request and we will take appropriate action.

In so far copyright. Though copyright does often not apply in these cases. The copyright does not extend to functional objects. So in many cases where users point out copyright issues, there is no copyright involved at all. Now trademarks (brand names), trade dress (well known patterns / logos) or design patents can apply. Both are not covered by DMCA but we will per our T&Cs still honor the Take Down Notice request from the IP holder as long as they can clearly show that they are the owners of the IP.

So in short, we need the copyright holder to let us know that a design infringes copyright, we cannot check every model to know if it violates some copyright somewhere.

We ask that you be honest in your dealings, if you know you are using another's IP, ask permission. Accredit the source, if you are using creative commons content.

Play nice.

Duann Scott, Designer Evangelist, Shapeways
Re: Final Fantasy 7 low poly Cloud Strife [message #46920 is a reply to message #46778 ] Fri, 13 April 2012 08:50 UTC Go to previous message
avatar pdb  is currently offline pdb
Go to all my models
cheers duann

boop

Previous Topic:it arrived in Sinter Boxes !
Next Topic:skul + zurcl