Whats good for gluing together and priming Frosted Ultra Detail parts?

Discussion in 'Design and Modeling' started by PopeDesign, Apr 4, 2012.

1. PopeDesign
    PopeDesign Well-Known Member
    Hi Everybody,

I think I posted this in the wrong place so I'll try posting it here.

Quick question, besides using crazy glue or epoxy, are there any other good options for gluing together Frosted Ultra Detail parts? What about model cement from Testers (for styrene and ABS plastic kit models)? Or how about "welding" liquid styrene glues that can be applied with a syringe that basically melt parts together?

Also, has anyone had any luck with using primers on Frosted Ultra Detail parts? If so, what has worked without melting the material? Same question for paints in general.

Thanks,

-Jon

2. BillBedford
    BillBedford Member
    You need to look for a glue that will adhere to acrylics.

I use standard car primers, in rattle cans, on FUD.

3. PopeDesign
    Great! thanks Bill.

4. Roy_Stevens
    Roy_Stevens Member
    I use ACC, but if you want something faster and/or thinner then MEK would probably work fine. I use airbrushed enamel paints from Floquil, which do not need any primers to cover well. The most difficult thing is getting the oil and leftover wax out of the print.

5. PopeDesign
    Thanks Johnny. I bought an ultrasonic cleaner like you suggested ($24 on E-bay, got to like that) and I've used your method of isopropyl alcohol which seems to work great. i have also tried Dawn in a 50/50 mix of hot water in the ultrasonic cleaner and it seems to clean just as well with less "frosting" or turning the parts white. But I guess the true guess is when I try airbrushing some paint on and see if it actually sticks...

6. GigaBread
    GigaBread Member
    I use Mr.Surfacer 1000 for priming.

7. PopeDesign
    Thanks for the info Giga. I'm working in Z scale and have parting lines that are 0.15 mm wide by about 0.5 mm deep. Do you think Mr.Surfacer 1000 will clog them up? I notice they have Mr.Surfacer 1200 with finer filler particles. Have you ever used that?

Thanks again,

-Jon

8. GigaBread
    GigaBread Member
    I actually just received the 1200 in the mail this week but I haven't had a chance to try it out. I do a lot of pieces for action figures and the 1000 works great on the FUD pieces and the soft cast plastics that normally don't bond well with most plastics. I'll do a test on the 1200 sitting on my shelf and let you know how it does.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2012