Now Through Sunday Night. Black Friday Deals & Free Shipping! See the deals.
Home » Support » 3D Design » mesh' optimal density and model granulosity
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
mesh' optimal density and model granulosity [message #4195] Thu, 30 April 2009 16:41 UTC Go to next message
avatar amar  is currently offline amar
Go to all my models
Hello, glad to be here. This is my prime thread, and I would like to ask two basilar questions (I didn't found in search; perhaps wrong keyswords?).
I work with Lightwave 9 (some would say "use something else", but since 10 years so far it is the only 3d app with which I feel confortable; tried many so far, but this adapts to me anyway, also 'cause I use building with splinepatch, which is a breeze in LW), and its meshsmoothing / subdivide methods aren't so fine (you know meshsmooting rounds badly the corners and "melts" the overall shape; one of the many cons of LW, alas), so I would know whether it is mandatory to have a very hi poly mesh, in order to use shapeways system.
Second: I'm building negative shapes for ceramics molds' casting; thus, upon the resin model will be poured liquid gypsum/plaster. it is there a way to impermeabilize the model, or to coat it in order to optimally smooth the granulosity?

Thank you for your time.
Cheers.

[Updated on: Thu, 30 April 2009 16:41 UTC]

Re: mesh' optimal density and model granulosity [message #4215 is a reply to message #4195 ] Fri, 01 May 2009 12:32 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Whystler  is currently offline Whystler
Go to my shop
Hello Smile

High poly meshes are the best meshes for Shapeways. Sometimes you have a low poly mesh, and your software will make it appear to be high poly by smoothing the material and not the model itself. Avoid this by changing the material to not include smoothing. When I say "material", I mean the texture and surface properties of a mesh that make it react to light.

There is a forum topic in "Post Production Techniques" that talks about sanding and painting your model to give it a smooth appearance. Here is the link:

http://www.shapeways.com/forum/index.php?t=msg&th=603&am p;start=0&S=0dd95446e043252ede7d837f9cda89ab

-Whystler

[Updated on: Fri, 01 May 2009 12:34 UTC]

Check out my website: http://tshawnjohnson.wordpress.com/
Re: mesh' optimal density and model granulosity [message #4219 is a reply to message #4215 ] Fri, 01 May 2009 19:49 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
Thank you very much, Whystler. Smile
But, the machines could produce anyway also models who haven't a huge density of polygons?
Cheers.
Re: mesh' optimal density and model granulosity [message #4223 is a reply to message #4219 ] Fri, 01 May 2009 22:28 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar robert  is currently offline robert
Go to all my models
I work here
Yes, our machines print your mesh exactly like you upload it. A cube can be described in 12 triangles and it will print out as an exact cube.

But remember that with polygons with a large surface area you will be able to see the individual polygons in the model. It depends on taste if you like that are not.

Overly large number of polygons are also not useful. Most printers print with a resolution of ~0.1mm.

Cheers!

Robert
Re: mesh' optimal density and model granulosity [message #4224 is a reply to message #4195 ] Fri, 01 May 2009 23:11 UTC Go to previous message
Go to all my models
TYVM Robert! Smile

Previous Topic:inverted normals
Next Topic:needing a Hollowing expert

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.