Home » Community » General Discussion » entire model not importing
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
entire model not importing [message #46321] Mon, 02 April 2012 16:17 UTC Go to next message
avatar ColdWarrior  is currently offline ColdWarrior
Go to all my models
Greetings all. I finally took the plunge and uploaded a model. It accepted it without any errors, but the entire model isn't importing. I modeled it in 3DS Max 2008 and uploaded it as both .STL and .OBJ with the same result (see attached). It is all attached. I must be missing something obvious. Any help would be appreciated.

TIA.

• Attachment: problem2.jpg
    (Size: 133.10KB, Downloaded 26 time(s))

Re: entire model not importing [message #46322 is a reply to message #46321 ] Mon, 02 April 2012 16:55 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Youknowwho4eva  is currently offline Youknowwho4eva
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I work here
Can you share the STL or OBJ? If you don't feel comfortable putting it here, you can email it to me at the email below. If I had to guess, I'd say that the components that are missing are separate parts that are sitting face to face with the main body. You can have multiple shells in a model, but the parts must overlap. Sitting face to face usually is the cause of issues like this.

I learned a long time ago the wisest thing I can do is be on my own side, be an advocate for myself and others like me. -Maya Angelou
michael@shapeways.com Community Advocate
Re: entire model not importing [message #46334 is a reply to message #46322 ] Mon, 02 April 2012 20:31 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar ColdWarrior  is currently offline ColdWarrior
Go to all my models
Thanks for the fast reply. I will send it to your email as an .OBJ. If that doesn't work (it is about 5MB), i will resend it as an .STL. Thanks again!
Re: entire model not importing [message #46335 is a reply to message #46334 ] Mon, 02 April 2012 21:01 UTC Go to previous message
avatar 7777773  is currently offline 7777773
Go to my shop
Double check your Normals... try running it through the Netfabb desktop application, and/or cloud.netfabb.com online service.
Deleted faces are often inverted. Also, it could be a matter of scale - if you intend to print in inches and it is interpreting in mm, the model comes out 25 times too small... and tiny features may be deleted.

Previous Topic:3D-printed Spherical Camera ball
Next Topic:Ok.... this is the resolution I am looking for

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.