Our Gift to You: 20% off your own designs in Strong & Flexible Plastic through Dec 23, with promo code MY2014 · details
Home » Support » 3D Printing » Error when uploading .stl file (Blender)
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Error when uploading .stl file (Blender) [message #46229] Sat, 31 March 2012 03:32 UTC Go to next message
avatar Moosh89  is currently offline Moosh89
Go to my shop
Hello

I am new to 3D modeling, and have only been using Blender for a few months. I am also new to 3D printing.

I made a ring in Blender and I think I have followed all the steps on the tutorial page for prepping Blender files.

When I export my .blend file to .stl, I notice it is called a "Certificate Trust List"... which is weird to me since the extension is .stl. Anyway, I upload it to Shapeways and I get an email notification that it is an "Invalid Input File Format", so I did some forum searching and read that I could download "Netfabb" and that it would "fix" any problems. Well I downloaded it and when I try to open my .stl file it too gives me an error "Invalid STL file"

So what the heck is going on? haha

Thank you for reading!

[Updated on: Sat, 31 March 2012 03:33 UTC]

Re: Error when uploading .stl file (Blender) [message #46237 is a reply to message #46229 ] Sat, 31 March 2012 09:18 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar stop4stuff  is currently offline stop4stuff
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I'm guessing that within the stl file, you have a group of shells (or layers), merge the shells (or flatten the layers) into one object - this can be achieved using Mesh lab, Accutrans3D or it may be possible in Blender (I know nothing about using Blender).

Re: Error when uploading .stl file (Blender) [message #46262 is a reply to message #46237 ] Sat, 31 March 2012 23:54 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar stonysmith  is currently offline stonysmith
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I can't help you with Blender but.. The buisness about the file being called a "Certificate Trust List" is common. Just right click any STL file and select "Open With" then point to Netfabb.

Select the option to "always open with this program" and windows will change the file(s) to be associated with Netfabb and remove the "Certificate Trust List" indicator.

Patience, Persistance, Politeness - the 3Ps will help us get us to Perfect Printed Products
Re: Error when uploading .stl file (Blender) [message #46272 is a reply to message #46262 ] Sun, 01 April 2012 05:11 UTC Go to previous message
avatar Moosh89  is currently offline Moosh89
Go to my shop
Thanks everyone! Cre83D helped me out, I know what to look for now and how to fix it (I think haha )

Previous Topic:Hollow silver 3D model?
Next Topic:Best material for "burnout"?

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.