Home » Support » 3D Design » Inverted Normals with Autodesk Inventor
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Inverted Normals with Autodesk Inventor [message #4066] Sun, 26 April 2009 19:03 UTC Go to next message
avatar Liquidwulfe  is currently offline Liquidwulfe
Go to all my models
I am not sure how to check for Inverted Normals with Autodesk Inventor when I export my object to an STL file. Anyone have any idea's?

• Attachment: Tank Side.stl
    (Size: 618.93KB, Downloaded 107 time(s))

Re: Inverted Normals with Autodesk Inventor [message #4072 is a reply to message #4066 ] Sun, 26 April 2009 21:16 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar AO  is currently offline AO
Go to my shop
Liquidwulf,

You have some little problem on the edges.
Its maybe related to the way you've modeled your tank or
you've set the resolution of the stl to high.
See pdf. It should be easy to solve now.

Greetings AO

• Attachment: tank.pdf
    (Size: 377.64KB, Downloaded 127 time(s))

Re: Inverted Normals with Autodesk Inventor [message #4076 is a reply to message #4072 ] Mon, 27 April 2009 00:40 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
It seems that Inventor is garbage when trying to convert to .stl files. The problems do not exist in Inventor native, so I cannot fix them unfortunately, and AccuTrans 3d conversion software does not recognize Inventor files.

I tried converting from .stl to Collada with the AcuTrans 3d software, and shapeways kicked back an error saying my object was over 10 feet long, however the save as with options dialog says the object is only 5.5x3.9x1.0

Not sure what I will try next.
Re: Inverted Normals with Autodesk Inventor [message #4078 is a reply to message #4076 ] Mon, 27 April 2009 10:30 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Liquidwulfe,

Did you make a high resolution. I model in solidworks, I also had problems until I saved with less resolution.
With a high resolution you create overlapping triangles.
That's also your problem.
Adding a radius to the edges might solve it too.
The size has to do with the units you model. mtrs, inch or mm. When you upload or convert you have to pay attention.

I'll fix the file for you.

Greetings AO
Re: Inverted Normals with Autodesk Inventor [message #4079 is a reply to message #4076 ] Mon, 27 April 2009 10:48 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Liquidwulfe,

Here another pdf. I thought I could fix it.
But if I do that the red area's will disapear.
I think the red areas are double surfaces.
Delete them with a boolean operation or, maybe meshlab has a tool somewhere that delets double face as I remember well.

Greetings AO

• Attachment: Tank2.pdf
    (Size: 386.52KB, Downloaded 105 time(s))

Re: Inverted Normals with Autodesk Inventor [message #4081 is a reply to message #4079 ] Mon, 27 April 2009 10:54 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
Yea, I tried uploading to STL in every resolution available. I think the problem is with Autodesk Inventor's .stl export. Tonight I will be getting an .ipt to .3ds converter, where I can then convert it to Collada directly. I do appreciate the help tho!
Re: Inverted Normals with Autodesk Inventor [message #4160 is a reply to message #4081 ] Wed, 29 April 2009 10:02 UTC Go to previous message
avatar RalphVdB  is currently offline RalphVdB
Go to my shop
I work here
Hi Liquidwulfe Cool

I took the liberty to fix your model Nod

The STL is in a 'dialect' that we cuoldn't process till this morning! I've re-exported it using MeshLab (free open source software - http://meshlab.sourceforge.net/ and now it works fine

Just upload, order it and it's yours Wink

Cheers,

Ralph

Shapeways International Customer Service Manager

Previous Topic:Inverted Normals Problems
Next Topic:Can't figure this out - Inverted normals.

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.