N Scale (1:160) New York Style Subway Kiosks

Discussion in 'My Shapeways Order Arrived' started by AmericanArchetype, Mar 22, 2012.

1. 9694_deleted
    9694_deleted Member
    These are a wonderfully nostaligic sight for me, and your photographs are beautiful! Gave you a shout out on this week's Friday Finds. :)

2. Dragoman
    Dragoman Member
    Very nice indeed. Impressive detail!

Greetings
    Karl Heinz

Last edited: Mar 25, 2012
  3. ScimDIA
    ScimDIA Member
    This is really beautiful. I'm considering making some N Scale stuff myself. Can I ask you how smooth the model came out? Does it require any sanding or prep before painting? How fragile is it really?

Thanks for any help.

4. I always bathe the FUD models in Bestine, a solvent cleaner that removes any residue. In the case of the kiosks, they're fairly clean so filling or sanding shouldn't be necessary. For other models, I use a very thin putty wash to fill the small grooves followed by a light sanding of the finest grit sandpaper available. As for how fragile they are....they are what I'd call brittle, meaning too much pressure will snap them. However, I've also dropped them off my workbench and not damaged them. With something like the kiosks finials at the top of the dome....that would snap off with the slighest bump.

5. ScimDIA
    ScimDIA Member
    Appreciate the reply. Thank you.