Printable in stainless steel?

Discussion in 'My Work In Progress' started by jbalgley, Mar 22, 2012.

1. jbalgley
    jbalgley Member
    Just wondering if the following would be printable in stainless steel. The material thickness is 1.0mm. I could bump that up a little, if necessary. I have printed it in WSF and it is immensely strong ... unless you poke at an individual vertical member. Would Shapeways' minimum wall thickness checker automatically reject it? Or does a human assess it and see that it is obviously quite strong, i.e., the structure is really 8mm thick (the main thickness of the ring). This is just one sample; I would have other similar shapes.

View attachment 15457

2. Youknowwho4eva
    Youknowwho4eva Well-Known Member
    As far as I know stainless requires at least 1.5 mm and 3 mm is recommended. You just have to follow these rules.

3. stop4stuff
    stop4stuff Well-Known Member
    If the vertical (in your image) parts have a minimum in-any-one-direction thickness of 1mm then it might print, but that would depend on the overall dimensions. i,e, a small item with 1mm walls is going to survive handling between printing & infusion better than a large item with 1mm walls. Stainless can be successfully printed quite thin if supported well.

4. 20201_deleted
    20201_deleted Member
    I think this part could be all right. The structure is inherently strong. It will be a judgement call for the tech dudes when the file is reviewed. If it was my design I'd add .5mm overall thickness. The $$ difference should outweigh the potential no print stamp.

-G