Home » Community » Work in progress » Printable in stainless steel?
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Printable in stainless steel? [message #45844] Thu, 22 March 2012 20:30 UTC Go to next message
avatar jbalgley  is currently offline jbalgley
Go to my shop
Just wondering if the following would be printable in stainless steel. The material thickness is 1.0mm. I could bump that up a little, if necessary. I have printed it in WSF and it is immensely strong ... unless you poke at an individual vertical member. Would Shapeways' minimum wall thickness checker automatically reject it? Or does a human assess it and see that it is obviously quite strong, i.e., the structure is really 8mm thick (the main thickness of the ring). This is just one sample; I would have other similar shapes.

index.php?t=getfile&id=15457&private=0
Re: Printable in stainless steel? [message #45865 is a reply to message #45844 ] Fri, 23 March 2012 12:58 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Youknowwho4eva is currently online Youknowwho4eva
Go to my shop
I work here
As far as I know stainless requires at least 1.5 mm and 3 mm is recommended. You just have to follow these rules.

The Mad Moder
michael@shapeways.com
Re: Printable in stainless steel? [message #45920 is a reply to message #45844 ] Sat, 24 March 2012 14:28 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar stop4stuff  is currently offline stop4stuff
Go to my shop
If the vertical (in your image) parts have a minimum in-any-one-direction thickness of 1mm then it might print, but that would depend on the overall dimensions. i,e, a small item with 1mm walls is going to survive handling between printing & infusion better than a large item with 1mm walls. Stainless can be successfully printed quite thin if supported well.

Re: Printable in stainless steel? [message #45926 is a reply to message #45920 ] Sat, 24 March 2012 16:58 UTC Go to previous message
avatar GlenG  is currently offline GlenG
Go to all my models
I think this part could be all right. The structure is inherently strong. It will be a judgement call for the tech dudes when the file is reviewed. If it was my design I'd add .5mm overall thickness. The $$ difference should outweigh the potential no print stamp.

-G

"Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art."
Leonardo da Vinci

Previous Topic:First 3D print project : coin
Next Topic:BBQ Pit