Home » Support » 3D Applications » Any ZBrush users out there ?
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Any ZBrush users out there ? [message #45794] Wed, 21 March 2012 18:42 UTC Go to next message
avatar Tballew  is currently offline Tballew
Go to my shop
Hi ... am a newbie on ZBrush but have sculpted some small jewelry pieces to try out the printing. Cannot find out how to set mesh thickness in ZBrush. Help?
Tom Confused
Re: Any ZBrush users out there ? [message #46909 is a reply to message #45794 ] Fri, 13 April 2012 02:33 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Vargulf  is currently offline Vargulf
Go to my shop
I may be completely off but I just use the 3dprint exporter plugin that comes with Zbrush.
Re: Any ZBrush users out there ? [message #47114 is a reply to message #46909 ] Tue, 17 April 2012 18:29 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar rubyscooby  is currently offline rubyscooby
Go to my shop
Hi I am starting to print with Zbrush too. I had some problems with wall thickness and could not print in metal only black detail. If you use dynamesh there is an option to make hollow by inserting a mesh. Google dynamesh to find out. Otherwise if it's a flat piece you could build the base in another program and import it in.

Good Luck

Ruby
Re: Any ZBrush users out there ? [message #47638 is a reply to message #47114 ] Sun, 29 April 2012 19:41 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Tballew  is currently offline Tballew
Go to my shop
Thanks Vargulf, for the 3D Exporter info. I had been spending a lot of time on netfabb, but the Exporter seems to handle everything !

I measure the parts of my items with a scale (ruler) held up to my screen. Do you have any suggestions regarding this ?

i am doing my work on an iMac-leopard OS X.

Finally figured out that the "create shell > thickness " slider in Dynamesh represents mm of shell thickness..
Re: Any ZBrush users out there ? [message #47639 is a reply to message #47638 ] Sun, 29 April 2012 19:54 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Vargulf  is currently offline Vargulf
Go to my shop
I was wondering the same thing until a few days ago. I wasn't in any rush for exact measurements as I haven't made anything where it is dire, such as rings.

I saw someone was making rings so I asked. He uses Meshlab which has a measurement tool.

http://meshlab.sourceforge.net/

It is free which is always a plus and I was able to load the 3d exported STL just fine and make any measurement I needed.

Hope that helps.

Edit: missed that you have a mac. I checked. Meshlab does indeed work on a mac as well.

Happy measuring!

[Updated on: Sun, 29 April 2012 19:55 UTC]

Re: Any ZBrush users out there ? [message #48698 is a reply to message #47638 ] Sun, 20 May 2012 03:33 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar lensman  is currently offline lensman
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
[quote title=Tballew wrote on Sun, 29 April 2012 19:41
I measure the parts of my items with a scale (ruler) held up to my screen. Do you have any suggestions regarding this ?

Finally figured out that the "create shell > thickness " slider in Dynamesh represents mm of shell thickness.. [/quote]

ZBrush doesn't have native measurements as such. I use 3D Print Exporter and will adjust the "size" of the model using the "mm" button and "Update Size Ratios" before exporting. Then I import the OBJ file into another programme (Rhino) to make it the exact size I need.

And I don't believe the thickness slider actually measures in mm but rather a ratio of the model size itself. Now, if you've managed to figure out the exact size to export at I suppose it would be possible that the slider could, then, represent mm.

Glenn

Glenn ------ My Website Third Dimension Jewellery
Re: Any ZBrush users out there ? [message #48982 is a reply to message #48698 ] Sat, 26 May 2012 21:21 UTC Go to previous message
avatar SGDesigns  is currently offline SGDesigns
Go to my shop
Yeah, I use Zbrush 4R2 and I ran into this issue too. What I do now is I export my model as a .OBJ and measure with Rhino. Those two are the best combination for me.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

- Sal G -
My Website
www.sgcustomsilver.com
Facebook Page
www.facebook.com/SGCustomSilver

Previous Topic:when I upload my model it is distorted. Help?
Next Topic:How do I boolean together subtools in Zbrush?

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.