Home » Community » Introductions » Introducing and material question
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Introducing and material question [message #45749] Tue, 20 March 2012 18:38 UTC Go to next message
avatar meegja  is currently offline meegja
Go to all my models
Hello all

Just new here and loving it all sofar. I knew about 3D printing but never went into it. Changing now since I discovered this site Smile
In short, I am Menno, I am from The Netherlands. Been making 3D art for hobby for more then 12 years now. I started with Bryce and I am now into 3D fractals. What kind of art I make? Well, see here: http://meegja.deviantart.com/gallery/

But okay, also a materials question as part of you introducing me in here Wink I did upload my first model and want to order it to see how it comes out. But I really have no clue on what kind of material is best to make a 3D print in. It's full of curly bits, see http://shpws.me/4zus. An anaglyphic version can be seen here: http://fav.me/d4lued5

Thanx in advance!
Menno

[Updated on: Tue, 20 March 2012 18:39 UTC]

Re: Introducing and material question [message #45751 is a reply to message #45749 ] Tue, 20 March 2012 18:56 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Youknowwho4eva  is currently offline Youknowwho4eva
Go to my shop
I work here
Welcome Menno,

The material is really up to you and what you want from your model. if you want the most detail than FUD is your choice. If you want lower cost, lower detail than maybe one of the other Detail materials or even WSF. If you want to set it on your table as a show piece, maybe ceramic. If you want to wear it around your neck, maybe silver. It's all up to you and what you want to do with the piece. Check all the details for all the materials here

The Mad Moder
michael@shapeways.com
Re: Introducing and material question [message #45754 is a reply to message #45751 ] Tue, 20 March 2012 19:14 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
@ Youknowwho4eva

Hello and thanx for answer.
So what you mean is that actually I can use any material? There is no difference in what material is best for a curly object like mine or an object with all straight faces?
I myself was indeed thinking of ceramic, also because of my work: making ceramic bone replacement materials for surgery and so on Smile But that FUD (have to see what that means Wink) also sounds nice.
But got some more info now, thanx Smile
Re: Introducing and material question [message #45755 is a reply to message #45749 ] Tue, 20 March 2012 19:19 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
I work here
for your level of detail on that model, you'd want FUD (frosted ultra detail) unless it's large enough that those details would show in ceramic. You'll need to go through the material page and see the individual levels of detail per material, to see which level of detail best suits you.

The Mad Moder
michael@shapeways.com
Re: Introducing and material question [message #45758 is a reply to message #45755 ] Tue, 20 March 2012 19:32 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
That material page is indeed handy. FUD indeed sounds great but on the other hand (if this printing works out for my art) I want to be able to make it rather touchable, so people can hold it, rotate it and so one. And that FUD is rather delicate. So maybe WFS is the better option then.
Ah well, no other way to find out to order and see how it turns out Smile
Re: Introducing and material question [message #45759 is a reply to message #45749 ] Tue, 20 March 2012 19:47 UTC Go to previous message
Go to my shop
I work here
WSF is stronger. But with a lot of touching, it's very porous, so it will get dirty. FUD is delicate when thin. As long as the body of your piece is substantial enough, it shouldn't be too delicate.

The Mad Moder
michael@shapeways.com

Previous Topic:Hello everyone
Next Topic:Just starting