Our Gift to You: 20% off your own designs in Strong & Flexible Plastic through Dec 23, with promo code MY2014 · details
Home » Community » It arrived! » Magic Gears by OSKAR
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Magic Gears by OSKAR [message #45624] Sat, 17 March 2012 19:48 UTC Go to next message
avatar Oskar_van_Deventer  is currently offline Oskar_van_Deventer
Go to my shop
Hi Shapeways fans,

Magic Gears (a twisty non-puzzle) is a paradoxical set of three identical gears that can both mesh in the regular way and all in the same direction. It was inspired by this YouTube video by Jacques Maurel. Maurel writes: "The paradoxical 2 teeth gear set is used in the 'Mercier differential' (using the torque transfer technology) Patented in 1988 by Renault". Oskar's addition to the work is making Chevron Gears as invented by Andre Citroen. This way the three gears become identical and they can both mesh classically and paradoxically.

I have performed this Magic Gears "trick" to several friends, family and coleagues. I get two types of reactions: "wow" and "so what". Apparently, there exist people who are not aware how gears are supposed to mesh Smile.

Watch the YouTube video.
Buy this magic trick at my Shapeways Shop.
Read more at the Non-Twisty Puzzles Forum.
Check out the photos below. Note that the last picture is a .gif animation. Click it to see the movement.

Enjoy!

Oskar

index.php?t=getfile&id=15360&private=0

index.php?t=getfile&id=15361&private=0

index.php?t=getfile&id=15362&private=0

index.php?t=getfile&id=15363&private=0

[Updated on: Sat, 17 March 2012 19:50 UTC]

Re: Magic Gears by OSKAR [message #45643 is a reply to message #45624 ] Sun, 18 March 2012 07:29 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar henryseg  is currently offline henryseg
Go to my shop
Wow, this is really cool. Is WSF smooth enough for the gears to slide over each other nicely? Or did you get them in WSF polished?
Re: Magic Gears by OSKAR [message #45648 is a reply to message #45643 ] Sun, 18 March 2012 12:28 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Oskar_van_Deventer  is currently offline Oskar_van_Deventer
Go to my shop
It took some breaking in ...
Re: Magic Gears by OSKAR [message #45713 is a reply to message #45624 ] Mon, 19 March 2012 22:25 UTC Go to previous message
avatar CharGyse  is currently offline CharGyse
Go to my shop
Ahh wow, they are so cool to watch in the video! Hypnotising Surprised

Enjoys spending 98 hours a week learning, making and designing stuff. The picture of me as a kid is... pretty much what you're dealing with.

Previous Topic:Small quadcopter propellers
Next Topic:Green / Blue Lantern Ring design

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.