Home » Support » 3D Printing » Branding
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Branding [message #45611] Sat, 17 March 2012 05:22 UTC Go to next message
avatar PlainOrb  is currently offline PlainOrb
Go to my shop
Hi, the design rules for WSF suggests 14 pt, 4mm height or depth of letters if we want to label something. Many objects come in small even tiny volume with nearly no enough space for its owner's brand name to be printed on. Any solutions ?

Plain Orb
Re: Branding [message #45616 is a reply to message #45611 ] Sat, 17 March 2012 12:18 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar pfeiffer stylez  is currently offline pfeiffer stylez
Go to my shop
7PLAIN wrote on Sat, 17 March 2012 05:22

Hi, the design rules for WSF suggests 14 pt, 4mm height or depth of letters if we want to label something. (...)

4mm ... wait, what ?!? Shocked
Shouldn't that be 0,4mm ?! Confused
Re: Branding [message #45617 is a reply to message #45611 ] Sat, 17 March 2012 14:33 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar TurtlesAreCool  is currently offline TurtlesAreCool
Go to my shop
Yeah, it is 4/10ths of a mm. The "0,4" is (I believe) a European way of writing "0.4".
Re: Branding [message #45619 is a reply to message #45617 ] Sat, 17 March 2012 14:51 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar pfeiffer stylez  is currently offline pfeiffer stylez
Go to my shop
But the WSF design rules page says...

"(...) we would therefore recommend using 14pt font of at least 4mm high if you were to label something"

..., and that can't be correct.
Re: Branding [message #45629 is a reply to message #45619 ] Sat, 17 March 2012 21:47 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar stop4stuff  is currently offline stop4stuff
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
as in 4mm tall letters Rolling Eyes
Re: Branding [message #45636 is a reply to message #45629 ] Sun, 18 March 2012 00:31 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar stannum  is currently offline stannum
Go to my shop
That page is very messy, "14pt" doesn't make much sense, some fonts are smaller than others, or the lines thicker or thinner. And in a computer they all can vary size thanks to the DPI mess created by the different operating systems, so you're never sure what you're really seeing. You could take the classic 72 points per inch, as best guess, and hope your program does too.

The tables with values 0.4, and so on, are not typos (beyond the dot vs comma national issue). That refers to how tall or deep the walls that form the letters are, how big the carving or extrusion is. Check the wording, "outside" and "inside" in the table and then look at the small pictures near it.

"14pt in heights(depths) of more than 4mm" could had a typo in the 4mm part, as the tables that have a big change, have it arount 0.4 column. Or maybe it's that 11/72 of inch is 3.88 mm, then the typo would be writing heights/depths.

It would be better if all was described in mm anyway. All: font total dimensions, font line thickness, how much carved or raised from the base surface, etc.
Re: Branding [message #45681 is a reply to message #45611 ] Mon, 19 March 2012 01:33 UTC Go to previous message
avatar PlainOrb  is currently offline PlainOrb
Go to my shop
It looks like a little confusing. Maybe Shapeways can simply show us the dimensions in the pictures aside. It makes people remember you if your brand name is on the model.

Is there anyway we can print WSF in Green color, without sanding ? I think people today like green more and more.

[Updated on: Mon, 19 March 2012 01:35 UTC]

Plain Orb

Previous Topic:Printing direction
Next Topic:Judging stress on steel parts in green state

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.