Introducing 14k Gold, read more on the blog.
Home » Support » 3D Design » Aluminium profile with inverted normals
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Aluminium profile with inverted normals [message #4017] Thu, 23 April 2009 08:31 UTC Go to next message
avatar warper  is currently offline warper
Go to all my models
I am stuck. Trying to use Blender's "Recalculate normals inside/outside" does not help. Whatever I do, there seem to be inverted normals. Using AccuTrans 3D and MeshLab does not reveal anything unusual to the untrained(!) eyes.

Would be happy for any help.

• Attachment: test.3ds
    (Size: 25.31KB, Downloaded 130 time(s))

Re: Aluminium profile with inverted normals [message #4018 is a reply to message #4017 ] Thu, 23 April 2009 09:58 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
An additional note: I'll attach a snapshot of a view. This is an aluminium profile piece that is non-convex and has a cylindrical hole through the profile. Maybe this is impossible to get right by itself.
NB: The final object to be processed will consist of numerous of these profile pieces. The uploaded piece is a minimal test case for me.

• Attachment: test.png
    (Size: 6.02KB, Downloaded 174 time(s))

Re: Aluminium profile with inverted normals [message #4100 is a reply to message #4018 ] Mon, 27 April 2009 21:44 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
Still hoping for some insight - or is this a question with a completely obvious answer? Shocked

--Warper
Re: Aluminium profile with inverted normals [message #4106 is a reply to message #4100 ] Mon, 27 April 2009 23:53 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Whystler  is currently offline Whystler
Go to my shop
Hey warper, you might have better luck posting int he 3D design part of the forum. Folks there ask and answer a lot of questions similar to yours. Smile

-Whystler

Check out my website: http://tshawnjohnson.wordpress.com/
Re: Aluminium profile with inverted normals [message #4124 is a reply to message #4106 ] Tue, 28 April 2009 11:57 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
Hi Whystler,
I've seen some other posts by you - thanks for answering.
Did you mean to suggest another forum? It tells me "3D Design" as the forum I actually posted in!?
Warper
Re: Aluminium profile with inverted normals [message #4156 is a reply to message #4124 ] Wed, 29 April 2009 09:02 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar RalphVdB  is currently offline RalphVdB
Go to my shop
I work here
Hi Warper,

i took a look at your model and fixed it for you. You have to beware of the unit size though, and perhaps rescale it a bit because it doensn't meet our minimum sizes.

Hope this helps,

Cheers,

Ralph

Shapeways International Customer Service Manager
Re: Aluminium profile with inverted normals [message #4169 is a reply to message #4156 ] Wed, 29 April 2009 11:49 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
Hi Ralph,
Thanks a lot. Even more interesting than the fixed file would be the reason for the problem and how I could have seen and fixed it myself. Anything simple like "look closer for individual inverted normals"?
EDIT: The reason for the question of course is that I want to have a model built that consists of ~30 such profile pieces. Without myself being able to fix them would be prohibitive to testing out designs.

Warper

[Updated on: Wed, 29 April 2009 13:41 UTC]

Re: Aluminium profile with inverted normals [message #4203 is a reply to message #4169 ] Thu, 30 April 2009 20:16 UTC Go to previous message
avatar pete  is currently offline pete
Go to all my models
I work here
Hi,

take a look in our support section and perhaps have a look at this movie:
http://www.shapeways.com/video/fixing-non-manifold-meshes

hope it helps!

Peter

Previous Topic:Can't figure this out - Inverted normals.
Next Topic:inverted normals in rhino