A few quick questions for Shapeways ...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by 156072_deleted, Mar 13, 2012.

1. Hello :)

I'm interesting in doing some silver casting and consider using Google Sketchup (not Pro) to make the casting forms - which I would like Shapeways to 3D print for me in a suitable material.

Any of you know if Shapeways can work with Google sketchup files (not the Pro version) for 3D printing? And also if they have materials that can be used for silver casting (a melting temperature of about 1000 degrees celsius)?

Thanks for reading and maybe replying ;)

Jesper

P.S.: If this is not possible using Shapeways, I'd appreciate suggestions for an alternative - yet similar - service.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2012
  2. abby
    abby Member
    Hi Jasper , your question is rather vague , do you intend to cast the silver yourself ? in which case are you looking to get a mould or more correctly a die printed ? incidentally you will need a temperature 100°C above the melting point of 960°C for pouring.
    Dan.

3. Hi Jesper,

To answer your first question, you can use the free version of Sketchup for 3D printing.

4. Youknowwho4eva
    Youknowwho4eva Well-Known Member
    Well, you can't upload Sketchup files. You need DAE or STL from Sketchup I believe.

5. Carpemortis
    Carpemortis Member
    Unless you are working in Full Color Sandstone, the DAE's exported by sketchup will work fine. (File/Export/3d Model)

However in sketchup 8 I've run into two hiccups. The first is the orientation of my models are always one axis off. IE: The front of my model in sketchup is the top of my model when uploaded to shapeways. This is not really a problem just something to be aware of. The second is if you upload a model with unexploded components, it returns an "unknown_size" error. So make sure you explode any components before you export your model.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2012
  6. Hi all,

& thanks for replying ;)

Hmmm... I wonder if one of you may also know if there's one of Shapeways' materials that may be used for multiple silver or copper castings? I would like moulds to be made into which I can pour the silver or copper and then take apart the mould whereby releasing the shape now cast. And then reuse the mould more times.

Hope one of you knows!

Best regards from a Denmark that now shows clear signs of spring :cool:

Jesper

Last edited: Mar 14, 2012