Home » Community » 3D modeler needed » Any hobby injection molders for hire?
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Any hobby injection molders for hire? [message #44998] Wed, 07 March 2012 03:46 UTC Go to next message
avatar poolster  is currently offline poolster
Go to all my models
I would like to get 2000 parts of a small 2.5" x 2.5" product made to test market it. It's not economical to have it 3D printed in this volume and it's not economical to make a cheap aluminium mold for a small production run.

Here's a guy who made a 3D printed plastic injection mold and made parts with a desktop injection mold press.
http://www.rhinofablab.com/profiles/blogs/rhinomade-3d-print ed-mold-for

If I made the 3D printed mold, is there anyone who would like to make 2000 parts for me using this process? Or does anyone have a better idea?

[Updated on: Wed, 07 March 2012 03:48 UTC]

Re: Any hobby injection molders for hire? [message #45003 is a reply to message #44998 ] Wed, 07 March 2012 04:42 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar aeron203  is currently offline aeron203
Go to my shop
Proto Labs has a service called Protomold that is well matched to your application. Aluminum is probably your best bet, and it is fairly affordable. If a few dollars per part doesn't work for you, I have to wonder whether what you are selling is worth making. Plastic things with a value below that quickly end up in the trash, and producing such objects does not make the world a better place.

[Updated on: Wed, 07 March 2012 15:11 UTC]

Aaron - 40westdesigns.com/blog
Re: Any hobby injection molders for hire? [message #45208 is a reply to message #45003 ] Sat, 10 March 2012 06:44 UTC Go to previous message
avatar poolster  is currently offline poolster
Go to all my models
Thanks.

Previous Topic:Pilot wings from 2D artwork
Next Topic:Help with Raspberry Pi case

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.