Home » Support » 3D Design » Need To Add An Eye To A Pendant
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Need To Add An Eye To A Pendant [message #44930] Tue, 06 March 2012 01:02 UTC Go to next message
avatar benc1980  is currently offline benc1980
Go to all my models
I made a couple of pendant designs in Adobe PhotoShop and then make them 3D with the Image Popper on Shapeways. But now I need to add an eye for the necklace chain to go through, which faces the opposite direction of the face of the pendant. I have minimal experience with Google SketchUp, but it looks like SketchUp doesn't work with the Shapeway files. I don't have any other 3D software. Any suggestions?

[Updated on: Tue, 06 March 2012 01:04 UTC]

Re: Need To Add An Eye To A Pendant [message #44932 is a reply to message #44930 ] Tue, 06 March 2012 04:16 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar denali3ddesign  is currently offline denali3ddesign
Go to my shop
What kind of file format is the Shapeways file? There is an Sketchup importer for just about any file format.

Trouble using SketchUp? Get my book "3D Printing with SketchUp" - http://bit.ly/1jQ4RtV
Re: Need To Add An Eye To A Pendant [message #44933 is a reply to message #44932 ] Tue, 06 March 2012 04:20 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
The Shapeways file is .stl. I finally figured out how to open it in SketchUp. First, I downloaded the .stl file from Shapeways, then I opened it in MeshLab and saved it to a certain file type. Then I opened that file in SketchUp. Also, I found there are a couple of add-ons for doing this with SketchUp.

So, I finally figured out "how" it can be done. I played around with the file a bit but I cannot fine tune it. There's got to be an easy way to add just a little eye on the top of my design.
Re: Need To Add An Eye To A Pendant [message #44934 is a reply to message #44933 ] Tue, 06 March 2012 04:26 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
- Make the imported file into a "Solid" group
- Make an eye shape to the correct scale, and position where you want it to be
- use the Outer Shell tool to join them

Does that help?

Trouble using SketchUp? Get my book "3D Printing with SketchUp" - http://bit.ly/1jQ4RtV
Re: Need To Add An Eye To A Pendant [message #44935 is a reply to message #44934 ] Tue, 06 March 2012 04:27 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
Marcus, are your instructions for doing this in SketchUp?
Re: Need To Add An Eye To A Pendant [message #44936 is a reply to message #44935 ] Tue, 06 March 2012 04:30 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Yes...are they too advanced?

Re: Need To Add An Eye To A Pendant [message #44937 is a reply to message #44936 ] Tue, 06 March 2012 04:31 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
Nope. But I just tried and I see Solid Tools are only available in the Pro version. Sad
Re: Need To Add An Eye To A Pendant [message #44943 is a reply to message #44937 ] Tue, 06 March 2012 09:33 UTC Go to previous message
Go to my shop
Outer shell is the only Solid tool available in the free version Smile

Previous Topic:Missing components in Shapeways upload.
Next Topic:request a ring finger sizes stl

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.