Home » Support » 3D Printing » Files from Rhino for color printing
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Files from Rhino for color printing [message #44765] Fri, 02 March 2012 10:41 UTC Go to next message
avatar Christoph_K  is currently offline Christoph_K
Go to all my models
Hi,
how do i have to export a rhino file with simple colours, no texture map so that it can be printed with colours?

Re: Files from Rhino for color printing [message #46323 is a reply to message #44765 ] Mon, 02 April 2012 16:59 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar seedlingdesign  is currently offline seedlingdesign
Go to my shop
I also would like to know how to do this. I have a model in rhino that I created and is watertight. To assign colors to specific surfaces, I exploded the watertight model and assigned colors to the specific surfaces. I then exported to VRML 2.0. When I open the file back up in rhino, I get all the colors in the VRML file, but when I upload the model to shapeways, it comes up as a single color. I'm guessing that when I upload the file, the mesh is welded and I loose all the color information. I would like to know if there is an easy way of going from rhino color surfaces to colored polygon surfaces that can be used on Shapeways.

• Attachment: geode.jpg
    (Size: 186.87KB, Downloaded 21 time(s))

Re: Files from Rhino for color printing [message #46328 is a reply to message #44765 ] Mon, 02 April 2012 18:20 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Mary.Huang  is currently offline Mary.Huang
Go to my shop
I work here
You have to put the VRML file and the texture files into a zip folder. Then upload the zip to Shapeways.
Re: Files from Rhino for color printing [message #46329 is a reply to message #46323 ] Mon, 02 April 2012 18:22 UTC Go to previous message
avatar Mary.Huang  is currently offline Mary.Huang
Go to my shop
I work here
I haven't tried separate textures for each mesh face. Basically all of your meshes have to be water-tight. You can do boolean split to get separate solid meshes, and assign colors to each of those.

Previous Topic:Best material for "burnout"?
Next Topic:Color model problems (Blender)