Full 3D web browser model support

Discussion in 'Bug Reporting' started by Psynex, Mar 1, 2012.

1. Psynex
    Psynex Member
    I've been using this new website to upload and display some of my 3D models online. Any HTML5 browser and PC with a decent GL capable graphics chip can view them. I think Shapeways should implement it into the site and forums so we can get a true look at someone's work.

site: http://p3d.in

2. Youknowwho4eva
    Youknowwho4eva Well-Known Member
    Not a bad idea, maybe start an item on Uservoice and get others to vote on it.

3. stonysmith
    stonysmith Well-Known Member Moderator
    Not to be negative, but if the image is displayed in the (local) browser, then the model must be downloaded to the viewer's PC.

That means that it could be 'hacked' to allow you to grab models that are not openly available.

I am sure that shopowners would not be interesting in "giving away" most of their profit-bearing work.

4. flypig
    flypig Member
    I can fully appreciate the problem with not wanting to download models to the local machine. However, for many prints this isn't a problem, and personally all of my models have the "Allow downloads" option selected anyway. For these models, this plugin would really help to make the models much more vivid.

So I just wanted to support the idea (at least where the modeller agrees) and thank 94b2e02c26 for suggesting it. I'll be using this plugin everywhere I can now!

5. cushwa
    cushwa Member
    I agree.. This is a good idea

6. SGDesigns
    SGDesigns Member
    Thanks Stonysmith, this has been a concern of mine for some time now and I see your already on top of it.

:D :D :D :D :D