Scarab Beetle pendant / scarf tie

Discussion in 'My Work In Progress' started by lensman, Feb 26, 2012.

1. lensman
    lensman Well-Known Member
    Just finished this and I'm hoping to get it ordered in silver soon (once I get my bills paid!). I'd like to get some feedback, if possible.

This is an Egyptian Scarab Beetle pendant based off an ancient piece of jewelry. I actually designed it as a silk scarf neck tie where the fabric would go through the circle and wings to hold it in place. The piece is just over 2.6cms in height and the inside diameter of the circle is 8mm so I'm hoping that would be enough to hold the scarf. I don't have anything like this at home (or a silk scarf!) so have no idea if that will be large enough - any thoughts?

Incidentally, the original piece had a large red gemstone in the middle of that circle!

Glenn

scarab pendant.jpg

Last edited: Feb 26, 2012
  2. Eeppium
    Eeppium Member
    Hi.
    The 8mm hole might be big enough, however the wall thicness of the ring seems to me as too thin, is it about 1mm ?
    given that silver is quite a soft metal and there will be some wear on the ring I would strengthen it abit more.
    watching the hind legs, wich seem hollow I hope that the ring is modelled solid for structural stability.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2012
  3. lensman
    lensman Well-Known Member
    The overall thickness is 3mm so the ring would be about 1.5mm (I'll have to check the model to get exact size). It is all solid and I have found the sterling silver to be quite hard. I wear a ring daily that has parts less that 1mm thick and haven't had any problems yet. If this were pure silver you would be absolutely right.

But I will definitely check that ring thickness, thanks.

Glenn