Home » Support » 3D Design » Ouch! Why does this cost so much?
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Ouch! Why does this cost so much? [message #44409] Fri, 24 February 2012 04:05 UTC Go to next message
avatar jlincoln7850  is currently offline jlincoln7850
Go to my shop
I have been working with Sketchup and Shapeways for a little while now (3 weeks.) I just finished working on a model that is not too large in my opinion, being 1.6in (4.1cm) x 1.6 x 5.9 cm (2.3in). When I originally downloaded it the sides were a little thick, at .0625 or so, even so I was shocked to have the price in ultra frosted detail at $266! Well, this model is essentially just a glass as the bottom is totally open. I spent time thiining the walls down to just .012in or just a hair over .3mm and when I uploaded the model it cost even MORE money to print $275 for FUD.

Can someone please help as everything that I have says the model is hollow, but Shapeways apparently doesn't think so.

Re: Ouch! Why does this cost so much? [message #44411 is a reply to message #44409 ] Fri, 24 February 2012 04:32 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar denali3ddesign  is currently offline denali3ddesign
Go to my shop
Did you set the units correctly when you uploaded the model? You can check the size on the model page directly under the model image.

Trouble using SketchUp? Get my book "3D Printing with SketchUp" - http://bit.ly/1jQ4RtV
Re: Ouch! Why does this cost so much? [message #44414 is a reply to message #44411 ] Fri, 24 February 2012 05:36 UTC Go to previous message
avatar stonysmith  is currently offline stonysmith
Go to my shop
If you open the file in Netfabb, you'll see that all the various faces in the model are their own shell.. you need to try to join them together properly. As your model stands now, the upload software is sealing the bottom opening of the building, making the whole thing solid and therefore expensive.

Several other forum posts here suggest that you first try to clean it up in Sketchup using the Solid Inspector plugin.

Patience, Persistance, Politeness - the 3Ps will help us get us to Perfect Printed Products

Previous Topic:Incorrect volumes for shapeways product. (resolved :o)
Next Topic:peg together models- dimensions help-

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.