Home » Community » Introductions » So, this education *is* good for something.
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
So, this education *is* good for something. [message #44219] Mon, 20 February 2012 19:30 UTC Go to next message
avatar WebmistressM  is currently offline WebmistressM
Go to all my models
Hi, Im Mary a 29 year old from Southern California. Back in early 2000, I had graduated from art college with a mere AA degree, having gone to study for 3D modeling (gaming and animation). Maya was the program that the school used and I really enjoyed it, despite that even today, the options are staggering/overwhelming.

As someone who also appreciates bodyart, I have been struggling to find a smelter (is that the correct term) to recreate a piece I had. Sadly, having to create it from scratch might involve casting and I have got quite the pricey quotes out here in Los Angeles. I know what I want so the designing is no problem, but it takes additional knowhow to shape that in steel....

Until Shapeways. I got all sorts of interesting ideas for the body mod community. I look forward to using my college education for something (finally!)

Oh, Maya, I think I love you... Very Happy

Re: So, this education *is* good for something. [message #44225 is a reply to message #44219 ] Mon, 20 February 2012 23:00 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar ana  is currently offline ana
Go to my shop
I work here
Hey Mary,

Very cool! I haven't seen too many body art projects either, but it's an area with a lot of possibilities.

Feel free to drop me a line if you need a hand with anything, or reach out the forum. We've got an exceptionally knowledgeable and helpful community Smile

- Ana

Community Manager | Shapeways

Re: So, this education *is* good for something. [message #44245 is a reply to message #44225 ] Tue, 21 February 2012 03:40 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
Thanks for the hello Ana. I actually also noticed that there was a scarcity of jewelry as far as body jewelry goes. Once I found out that there was a way to 3D print stainless steel, my gears started turning as there has been a shortage in some of the more personal types of jewelry that I enjoy. I guess I can try filling it and seeing if anyone else has wanted more out of intimate body jewelry as well. Smile

Re: So, this education *is* good for something. [message #44250 is a reply to message #44245 ] Tue, 21 February 2012 04:20 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar stannum is currently online stannum
Go to my shop
Warning: "stainless steel" is 60% stainless steel and 40% bronze, so beware about alergies or plain skin tarnishing. It's not surgical grade steel.
Re: So, this education *is* good for something. [message #44252 is a reply to message #44250 ] Tue, 21 February 2012 05:19 UTC Go to previous message
Go to all my models
Good to know and something that was what got me curious about shapeways in the first place. Its amazing even if not totally stainless steel. I actually saw the Stainless Steel production video sometime after making this post which kind of clued me into that.
Just so you know, bronze is used in larger piercings, so it isnt totally a material which the body jewelery industry wont use. .:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Body_piercing_materials#Bronze

Its much like gold. Some people can have bronze, others cant. I got the Shapeways sample kit. Wonder if I can find a way to wrap this S shaped piece against my skin for a few days and see if I have an allergy.

Previous Topic:Rcshop is Opened for Business
Next Topic:Please stay seated

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.