Materials Compare

Discussion in 'Materials' started by 60029_deleted, Feb 14, 2012.

1. 60029_deleted
    60029_deleted Member
    I am trying to figure out what material would be best to use for my model.

I was wondering how white detail and frosted detail compare. Since frosted is a bit cheaper for my model, I was wondering if there are any downsides of using that as opposed white. It looks like the only benefit of white detail over frosted is strength - how much of a difference is it? Would I have to worry about frosted breaking easily?

I am using it as a master for a mold so I'd like the smoothest finish possible, and it just needs to be strong enough to withstand molding (with a soft silicone). My part is a 1/3 scale face so there is a bit of thinness around the ears and I worry about chipping on hard edges, but everything seems well within rage.

Is the detail material even worth it? I don't know if I am better off with WSF since it is a lot less expensive. I have some text in my piece that I am worried about, but it doesn't have too fine of detail. I want to keep priming and sanding to a minimum since it is a pain so I would be willing to pay for the more detailed material if there is a big enough difference - I'd hate to loose too much detail.

My model is here, just to get an idea of part size and detail: https://www.shapeways.com/model/477868/oriana.html
    You have to view it in 3D to see the text - it is on the inside.

Any help is greatly appreciated! Thanks,
    Samantha

*edited to add another question

Last edited: Feb 19, 2012
  2. 60029_deleted
    60029_deleted Member
    Is there a better place to ask this question? I'd really like an opinion on what material to use - the material descriptions only help me so much. I want to print my model soon but I don't really have the money to risk choosing the wrong material. Any help would be great.