Home » Community » General Discussion » Newbie questions
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Newbie questions [message #44028] Tue, 14 February 2012 20:30 UTC Go to next message
avatar Max0007  is currently offline Max0007
Go to my shop
First: Hi to everyone...
...and sorry if my questions have allready been answered 1000times but i couldn´t find the right ansers up to now.

So first question (About the materials):

What does "using the model [...] as a lost pattern will leave rests after burning" mean?
I´m not a nativ speaker and it seems my english got a little bad over the years. Can someone explain explain what that means?

And second:

A link to the explenation what a "Co-Creator" is would be nice.

Thanks
Re: Newbie questions [message #44029 is a reply to message #44028 ] Tue, 14 February 2012 20:39 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Youknowwho4eva  is currently offline Youknowwho4eva
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I work here
That is a confusing statement, but I believe it means it won't burn out properly.

And for your co-creator question. There are the shapeways co-creators which are online software to make your own 3D printed items, and there are user co-creators where the owner of the item can specify 3 fields for a customer to provide information on customizing the item they are ordering.

Finally found the blog post http://www.shapeways.com/blog/archives/275-The-Shapeways-Co- Creator-Platform.html

[Updated on: Tue, 14 February 2012 20:42 UTC]

I learned a long time ago the wisest thing I can do is be on my own side, be an advocate for myself and others like me. -Maya Angelou
michael@shapeways.com Community Advocate
Re: Newbie questions [message #44030 is a reply to message #44029 ] Tue, 14 February 2012 20:54 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Ah ok thanks for the link Razz

So it just means that the surface and maybe some details won´t be 100% "perfect" with the finished print?

Re: Newbie questions [message #44031 is a reply to message #44028 ] Tue, 14 February 2012 20:57 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Youknowwho4eva  is currently offline Youknowwho4eva
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I work here
I'm not sure, I'll ask Nancy to clarify the statement.

I learned a long time ago the wisest thing I can do is be on my own side, be an advocate for myself and others like me. -Maya Angelou
michael@shapeways.com Community Advocate
Re: Newbie questions [message #44074 is a reply to message #44031 ] Wed, 15 February 2012 13:00 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Just quickley wanted to ask if there is news on the statement. And is it really important anyway? I mean in the way that it should affect the way of designing and finishing a design for printing?
Re: Newbie questions [message #44077 is a reply to message #44074 ] Wed, 15 February 2012 13:17 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar stop4stuff  is currently offline stop4stuff
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
It's not important for 3D printing unless you are going to be using the print as a master for an investment casting - in the same way wax is invested, then burnt out for silver casting.
Re: Newbie questions [message #44092 is a reply to message #44077 ] Wed, 15 February 2012 15:22 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar abby  is currently offline abby
Go to all my models
I have had very little success in burning out SW printed patterns in WSF or UFD.
I have seen references from others who say it can be done but up to now no evidence.
I have burnt out many organic materials including "Airfix" kits with fair success but have never managed to produce a decent casting from SW printed materials.

This picture shows surface breakdown of investment.

http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e279/CPTABDAB123/DSCF4024.jpg

and this picture core breakage.

http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e279/CPTABDAB123/DSCF4023.jpg

It would be good to hear from someone who has actually done this process with satisfactory results.
Re: Newbie questions [message #44193 is a reply to message #44028 ] Sun, 19 February 2012 22:59 UTC Go to previous message
avatar aeron203  is currently offline aeron203
Go to my shop
It may be worth mentioning the context of the "pattern" statement in the material guide, since most people are unaware of the applications for 3D printing in casting.

Thank you for posting the pictures, Abby. It's nice to see details of other people attempts so we aren't needlessly replicating work. I spoke with an Objet representative about using their materials (the Detail materials) for investment casting and he said some users had done it successfully, but that some ash would be left (it is acrylic plastic) so you can't expect perfection. Still, it might be worth trying Transparent Detail for these projects.

Edit: Also, hollowing out the models would leave far less material to burn away, and that could make all the difference.

[Updated on: Tue, 21 February 2012 00:11 UTC]

Aaron - 40westdesigns.com/blog

Previous Topic:Different Pricing in different views
Next Topic:RapMan 3.2 or MakerBot Replicator?

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.