Home » Community » It arrived! » My Piston and Turbo Keychain, and Character model
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
My Piston and Turbo Keychain, and Character model [message #3785] Mon, 06 April 2009 13:25 UTC Go to next message
avatar lorddarthvik  is currently offline lorddarthvik
Go to my shop
Hi there!

THis is my Piston keychain, which arrived a few weeks ago, I just couldn´t take shots because my camerea was dead.

It is printed in white detail, and painted with acrylic paint to looks "used". The piston head rotates as you can see on the 2nd shot.
Shapeways made a good job with printing this one so it can move, thanks a lot! Smile

index.php?t=getfile&id=463&private=0

index.php?t=getfile&id=464&private=0

And here is one for scale with a 0,5L coke bottle cap: index.php?t=getfile&id=465&private=0

UPDATE:

Here are a few more pictures of my orders which arrived a long time ago.
My GF´s character from the game World of Warcraft modeled by me by her preferences. Painted and with a gloss finish, made from WS&F material:
index.php?t=getfile&id=467&private=0

index.php?t=getfile&id=468&private=0

• Attachment: dugoarrive.jpg
    (Size: 420.54KB, Downloaded 1626 time(s))

• Attachment: dugoarrive2.jpg
    (Size: 485.04KB, Downloaded 1558 time(s))

• Attachment: Dugoscale.jpg
    (Size: 134.26KB, Downloaded 1534 time(s))

• Attachment: EEkn2.jpg
    (Size: 264.76KB, Downloaded 1483 time(s))

• Attachment: EEkn3.jpg
    (Size: 233.41KB, Downloaded 1479 time(s))

[Updated on: Mon, 06 April 2009 20:04 UTC]

Re: My Piston Keychain [message #3786 is a reply to message #3785 ] Mon, 06 April 2009 14:11 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Gijs  is currently offline Gijs
Go to my shop
nice model and paint work! I wonder how strong that material is and if it is going to last with keys around it.

Cheers,
Gijs

www.studiogijs.nl
Re: My Piston Keychain [message #3787 is a reply to message #3785 ] Mon, 06 April 2009 14:17 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar psau3  is currently offline psau3
Go to my shop
Nice unusual little piece. Did you do any surface work prior to or after painting? Did you seal it with anything afterwards?

As Gijs says, I'm wondering how it'll hold up to wear if you do use it as a keyfob. Smile
Re: My Piston Keychain [message #3790 is a reply to message #3787 ] Mon, 06 April 2009 15:28 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Whystler  is currently offline Whystler
Go to my shop
Nice work! Great painting.

It will hold up nicely. There aren't any overly small parts of it. The detail materials do have some give. See my post about "metal and plastic prints recieved". You'll see from the pictures that even with small parts the white detail material is still flexible to a degree. What you see there are slightly less than 2mm rods. If you have even a little more length in any direction, it gets to be pretty strong (for a keychain).

Keep us posted about the item's durability in case I'm wrong lol.

-Whystler

Check out my website: http://tshawnjohnson.wordpress.com/
Re: My Piston Keychain [message #3798 is a reply to message #3785 ] Mon, 06 April 2009 17:23 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Thanks all, and especially thanks to you Whystler for answering the questions!

So far the material holds up allright, and I handle it pretty hard, like pulling my 1m long chain with about 12keys on the ring out of my bag from under my books by pulling on the piston! lol so its pretty hard!

I have not treated the material with anything before painting, only cleaned it with some soap and water to remove any grease. The paint does seem to hold okay after 2-3 days of drying, but it may chip off if you don´t let it dry for long enough. The white detail material feels like wax to the touch, and it is definetly harder to paint it then WS&F.

By the way, the white parts on the picture are not the material showing, it´s just the aluminium colored paint being too bright for the camera Smile
Re: My Piston and Turbo Keychain, and Character model [message #3804 is a reply to message #3785 ] Mon, 06 April 2009 20:18 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Some more photos of the char and Turbo Keychain small version models, both made in WSF material and painted:

The detail here is realy amazing, that chain which holds the book is realy realy small! Smile I wonder if it would have turned out even better in White Detail...
index.php?t=getfile&id=470&private=0

And a shot with flash:
index.php?t=getfile&id=471&private=0

These following pics are made of my turbo keychain model. One thing to note is, that this piece is one of the 3 "worse" pieces, as it has the 4 bolt holes welded shut by the production method. I think it has to do something with the orintation of the model in the printer, as the other 3 pieces have a different texture to them, and have open clear boltholes, and it seems like they were in the printer pointing in a different direction. I don´t have any of the better pieces as I have already given them away as gifts to my car nut friends Smile

Edit: the scale of the turbo is about 2,4cm x 2,6cm x 1,7cm
index.php?t=getfile&id=472&private=0

index.php?t=getfile&id=473&private=0

Sorry for the low quality shots, I´m still working with a camera which I borrowed from someone, and its the kind which is easy to use but impossible to set up right Smile

• Attachment: EEkn4.jpg
    (Size: 239.67KB, Downloaded 1381 time(s))

• Attachment: EEkn5.jpg
    (Size: 186.80KB, Downloaded 1332 time(s))

• Attachment: Turb1.jpg
    (Size: 118.90KB, Downloaded 1736 time(s))

• Attachment: Turb2.jpg
    (Size: 117.02KB, Downloaded 1397 time(s))

[Updated on: Mon, 06 April 2009 20:21 UTC]

Re: My Piston and Turbo Keychain, and Character model [message #3812 is a reply to message #3804 ] Tue, 07 April 2009 01:14 UTC Go to previous message
avatar Nshortino  is currently offline Nshortino
Go to my shop
Nice work. When i first looked at the top picture I thought it was a computer rendering... the paint looks great!

Previous Topic:medallion
Next Topic:Orrery Arrived Safely