Home »  » Buying » Very long production time
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Very long production time [message #43818] Sat, 11 February 2012 03:19 UTC Go to next message
avatar Twopounder  is currently offline Twopounder
Go to my shop
So, I've placed my order, and a few days later I got a notice that it was "in production." But it's been there for 5 days. Surely it doesn't take 5 days to print a $20 item. As I have received no shipping information (or product) I assume it hasn't been mailed out.

Is this usual?

http://fracturedmesh.blogspot.com/ - my 3d modeling blog
Re: Very long production time [message #43829 is a reply to message #43818 ] Sat, 11 February 2012 08:02 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar stop4stuff  is currently offline stop4stuff
Go to my shop
'In Production' status can mean the time period for when your file was sent to the printers to when Shapeways are ready to dispatch. Shapeways uses production partners for most materials, meaning your 3D model file can be printed on a different continent along with a batch of others. The printed model are sent back to Shapeways for sorting & distribution.

Looking at the Material Status it seems that there was a hiccup with WSF prints which has put them behind a bit.

Which material did you order in?
Re: Very long production time [message #43842 is a reply to message #43829 ] Sat, 11 February 2012 18:23 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
WD and FUD. I thought they had a facility here in the states. Do they really manufacture it here, mail it to Denmark, then ship it back out? Confused

Re: Very long production time [message #43843 is a reply to message #43842 ] Sat, 11 February 2012 18:57 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Not sure where you got Denmark from, Shapeways started out in The Netherlands (aka Holland). And for sure, Shapeways have offices in NYC (USA), but ordered prints may come from Europe or the USA (or maybe elsewhere?) head to their distribution point (USA or NL) to be sorted and shipped out to customers. Yes, it may take a bit longer than other online services, but the big advantage is the reduction in cost that Shapeways can get for their customers by being a middle-man.

Did you email Shapeways Customer Services, service@shapeways.com for a progress report yet?

Paul
Re: Very long production time [message #43846 is a reply to message #43843 ] Sat, 11 February 2012 20:31 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Ah, I thought they were in Denmark. My bad. Yes, I did send them a notice via customer service form, but I haven't heard anything back yet.

Re: Very long production time [message #43848 is a reply to message #43846 ] Sat, 11 February 2012 20:58 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Cool - You should get a reply on Monday, Shapeways Customer Services operate on workdays (Mon-Fri)
Re: Very long production time [message #44062 is a reply to message #43848 ] Wed, 15 February 2012 10:06 UTC Go to previous message
Go to my shop
Yup, received a reply, AND a tracking number. Good to go now.

Previous Topic:Shopping Cart is broken
Next Topic:Large project, time sensitive, questions

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.