too many shells, how do I fix

Discussion in 'Design and Modeling' started by LincolnK, Feb 8, 2012.

1. LincolnK
    LincolnK Member
    I have a model that was taken before, but I modified the shape a bit, and now it keeps getting rejected.

I asked why, and was told there are too many shells.

I checked in netfabb, and there are 400 shells. What does this mean, and how do I fix it? How many shells can I have?

I tried the "auto repair" function, but it still says it has 400 shells.

Lincoln

2. Youknowwho4eva
    Youknowwho4eva Well-Known Member
    Lincoln, Shells refer to enclosed bodies. So like a chain mesh with 400 links, would have 400 shells. If you design is meant to be one piece it should have 1 shell. You can intersect shells to be auto-joined. If you want to send me the file I'll take a look.

3. LincolnK
    LincolnK Member
    There are many separate models that I joined together, but they are all overlapping/intersecting with other parts of the model.

The model is never going to be available to the public, so I'd rather not send it to anyone, but if you promise to delete it and not discuss the model with anyone else once you are done taking a look at it / fixing it, I'll send it to you.

Lincoln

4. Youknowwho4eva
    Youknowwho4eva Well-Known Member
    I promise I will assess and delete. You can email it to me at youknowwho4eva@gmail.com if you'd like. See if we can't get you up and running again.

5. LincolnK
    LincolnK Member
    Thanks for all the help,

As it turns out there was some sort of mess up from the SW servers that shouldn't have been saying the file wouldn't upload.

Lincoln

6. 9694_deleted
    9694_deleted Member
    Hey Lincoln,

I've had my eye on this thread -- can you give me the usual browser and computer info, and as much info as possible on when the issues cropped up?

You can do so here or by email, whichever you prefer.

Thanks!

7. LincolnK
    LincolnK Member
    Hi Ana,

Windows 7 on a sony laptop with 4 gigs of ram, i7 processor, and google chrome browser.

It uploaded fine when adding as a new model, but won't upload as an update to the original file.

It happened Feb 8th.

Lincoln

8. 9694_deleted
    9694_deleted Member
    Thanks Lincoln,

Any chance of a screen shot of the error?