Home » Support » 3D Design » Sketchup help!
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Sketchup help! [message #43601] Tue, 07 February 2012 07:25 UTC Go to next message
avatar lucasjsmith  is currently offline lucasjsmith
Go to all my models
Hi, I'm new to all this. I have a design i want to have 3D printed,and I've created it in sketchup. It looks fine there, with everything solid where I want it to be. But when I export as dae, everything goes crazy! Please help! I have attached the sketchup and dae files that I have.

Re: Sketchup help! [message #43616 is a reply to message #43601 ] Tue, 07 February 2012 15:24 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar underitall  is currently offline underitall
Go to all my models
Hello,
I've just had a quick look, there are some reversed faces(the blue pones) and internal geometry that needs removing.
Should be a quick fix, hope this helps,
Tom.
Re: Sketchup help! [message #43619 is a reply to message #43616 ] Tue, 07 February 2012 16:18 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar denali3ddesign  is currently offline denali3ddesign
Go to my shop
Hi,

Like Tom said, some internal problems and reversed faces are all that's wrong. I have attached the file with some notes attached to help you understand where the problems are.

What you need to end up with is a single shell with no internal geometry. Think of the model as a container for your 3D print, you don't want anything inside that will interfere with the printing process.

If you want, I can do a live screenshare over Google+ with you to explain better.

If you're new to 3D printing, learn the secrets from a professional. Get my book "3D Printing with SketchUp"
Re: Sketchup help! [message #43856 is a reply to message #43619 ] Sun, 12 February 2012 05:47 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar lucasjsmith  is currently offline lucasjsmith
Go to all my models
Thanks for that awesome advice! Very Happy

I did all the things you said and cleaned it up a lot internally. Now I have one little part that refuses to have a face. I have noted it in the attached image and SKP file. I just need that little rectangle to get filled in.

Re: Sketchup help! [message #43887 is a reply to message #43856 ] Sun, 12 February 2012 19:06 UTC Go to previous message
avatar denali3ddesign  is currently offline denali3ddesign
Go to my shop
Just trace over one of the bounding edges to 'heal' the face.

If you're new to 3D printing, learn the secrets from a professional. Get my book "3D Printing with SketchUp"

Previous Topic:3ds max and STL
Next Topic:Fur

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.