Home » Community » Introductions » Mold from Master Copy
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
icon5.gif  Mold from Master Copy [message #43305] Wed, 01 February 2012 22:10 UTC Go to next message
avatar BrianEdwards  is currently offline BrianEdwards
Go to my shop
I was wondering if anyone has made a silicone mold from a 3D print. What material would be best?

White, Strong & Flexible
White Detail
Frosted Detail & Ultra Detail

Any information would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks! Very Happy
Re: Mold from Master Copy [message #43316 is a reply to message #43305 ] Thu, 02 February 2012 01:48 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Roy_Stevens  is currently offline Roy_Stevens
Go to my shop
You haven't given enough DETAIL. Double-meaning there. WSF isn't going to work unless you spend some time after receiving it in prep work to make the surface smooth. If the detail material is good enough to capture the all the parts of your model, then save yourself some money and use that. UD and FUD are the best, but can be fragile and you may end up de-molding your master in pieces.

Earl Grey, hot.
Re: Mold from Master Copy [message #43997 is a reply to message #43305 ] Tue, 14 February 2012 10:14 UTC Go to previous message
avatar abby  is currently offline abby
Go to all my models
You can make silicone moulds from any of the printed materials but beware.
Some silicones can be "poisoned" by extraneous support media left on FD and UFD models.
This media is very difficult to eliminate and can result in small sticky areas where the rubber has failed to cure.
Choice of silicone very important and you should consult with the supplier.
WSF has given me no problems with silicone curing , but the surface roughness can make mould stripping difficult.
Painting with primer and flatting where possible will help as with this pattern for a 7 !/4" gauge steam locomotive part.
http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e279/CPTABDAB123/DSCF4188.jpg
Polished WSF is easier to strip , as you would expect.
You can see several examples of moulds taken from printed patterns at;
http://www.unionsteammodels.co.uk/forum

[Updated on: Tue, 14 February 2012 10:23 UTC]

Previous Topic:Newbie from Texas
Next Topic:New to Trinidad and tobago