Questions About Selling

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by 131820_deleted, Feb 1, 2012.

1. Hello, I'm relativity new here. I've been doing 3d for quiet a while now so I'm use to the modeling aspect. When I saw this site I jumped at the chance to start uploading and selling. (considering I'm jobless and this will be my only source of income for a while)

I was wondering if I could ask you guy a few questions.

How long did it take to sell you first item?
    Do you have to get an item printed and take a picture of it before it sells?

_______I do want to do this for all my items, I just need some income first. Is that possible?
    What is the secret to getting a lot of traffic?
    _______I can thumb my site up on stumble. Digg won't really work since I need a good folowing first. I post on twitter all the time, but if I post my website on a forum it gets taken down like spam, what else can I do?
    How often have your items sold?
    Can you give any tips to a new comer like me?

I appreciate any feedback I can get. Thanks!

2. Hi dustysantos!!!

I will try to give you some answer but of course you can find all the information you want just reading the forums or the Support rules.

To be able to sell it is not enough just create your shop. People have to know who you are and what are you designing.

*How long did it take to sell you first item?*

It depends by your design and object, for which kind of customer are and if people like your stuff. It is not easy to know, it could take 2 weeks, one month, really it depends from your visibility.

*Do you have to get an item printed and take a picture of it before it sells?*

YES YES YES YES! As soon as you can try to upload pictures of your real objects! Render gives just an impression and it is better to see the real material with right colors and texture.

*What is the secret to getting a lot of traffic?*

Check here:
    https://www.shapeways.com/betashops/how_to_promote_your_shop

There are also a lot of web site that offer advertise but you have to pay.

*Can you give any tips to a new comer like me?*

Keep yourself updated. Be original and try to focus your mind on your design and ideas. Don't design something just for sell but try to pay attentions for all the details.

I hope it could help you, as I told you you can find all your answer here on SHAPEWAYS and the have also a very professional and helpful customer service.

Good luck!

Dario

3. Thank you very much for your help!! I'll keep at it.

4. :D You are welkom!!!
    Dario

5. 9694_deleted
    9694_deleted Member
    Good points, Dario.

I'd say that equally important is figuring out which type of content you want to specialize in.

Dario, for example, has started to make a name for himself with his unique style of jewelry, and has started to see some traction. Pick an area of things that you know and that you enjoy, start getting to know others who are into that same topic on the internet. Strike up conversations with them at the same time as you create stuff, get to know people, and then when you have something new and awesome to show off, it's like you're sharing with friends (not spamming).

They say the worst time to start reaching out is when you need to ask for a favor. ;)

6. Well I'm really into video games so i decide to do some fan art. Things I've always wanted I can now make and hopefully everybody else will want them too.

Thanks for the feed back. I have a whole school of graduates that like the same things I like and I can reach out to them.

7. 28396_deleted
    28396_deleted Member
    1. If you cant invest in ordering your designs use renders - that's ok - i made over $5k from mostly renders (my shop is a hobby) and i do have a Platinum credit card in my wallet.. ;)

2. Publish your designs on the forum , announce it on "work in progress" , search engines will index any chatters about it and drive surfers who might want your fan art designs

3. After a while sort your shop by Popularity, see what's hot and what's draws feedbacks, bookmarks, traffic - then you might want to order that design and take good photos of it and publish it on "it arrived" forum - who knows you might get lucky with Ana choosing your model for the "Friday's finds" blog - this could drive more potential customers

4. Enjoy designing but in the meantime... find a real job! :)

8. I'm glad to hear that because I'm really good at rendering and I'm already a member of some forums for 3d. Thanks!