Home » Community » General Discussion » Patent on online 3D Printing 'Services'
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Patent on online 3D Printing 'Services' [message #43289] Wed, 01 February 2012 15:51 UTC Go to next message
avatar anachreon  is currently offline anachreon
Go to my shop
Hiya,

Has anyone seen this?

http://blog.makezine.com/2007/08/02/3d-mass-customization/

http://www.digitalrealitycorp.com/blog/mass-customization/it em/103-patent-for-digital-factory-now-public

Any ideas on what this means/might mean for Shapeways?

Cheers,

Luis.
Re: Patent on online 3D Printing 'Services' [message #43296 is a reply to message #43289 ] Wed, 01 February 2012 16:41 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar stop4stuff  is currently offline stop4stuff
Go to my shop
The opening of the actual patent is...
Quote:

Methods and systems for designing and producing a three-dimensional object selection of a base three-dimensional object from a customer device. A base three-dimensional model corresponding to the object is displayed on the customer device, and one or more custom modifications are received. A modified three-dimensional model corresponding to the modified object is prepared and displayed. Once confirmation to produce the modified object is received, data corresponding to the modified three-dimensional model is transmitted to a manufacturing device for production of the object, using the data to do so, such that the object corresponds directly to the modified three-dimensional model.

I think the key to the patent is, a base object from a customer device which is then modified for printing as per the first paragrah "... receiving at least one custom modification to the base three-dimensional model from the customer device..."
Re: Patent on online 3D Printing 'Services' [message #43331 is a reply to message #43296 ] Thu, 02 February 2012 13:31 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar hagman  is currently offline hagman
Go to all my models
One day I'll submit a patent titled "A Method for Doing Obvious Things by Doing Them in an Obvious Manner"
Re: Patent on online 3D Printing 'Services' [message #43334 is a reply to message #43331 ] Thu, 02 February 2012 14:02 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar anachreon  is currently offline anachreon
Go to my shop
Dang! You've now got prior art!

Cheers,

Luis.
Re: Patent on online 3D Printing 'Services' [message #43349 is a reply to message #43334 ] Thu, 02 February 2012 18:58 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar stop4stuff  is currently offline stop4stuff
Go to my shop
USPO (imo) has a long way to go before they match up to UK standards - come on, I have a method for creating the pendant I am wearing right now, can I patent the method? No because I am a UK citizen. Can I patent the pendant itself? No because it is a pendant. Can I apply for Design Rights? Yes, but I don't need to as it is already protected as an Unregistered Design.

Whatever happened to a Patent meaning a protected Invention?

Re: Patent on online 3D Printing 'Services' [message #43454 is a reply to message #43349 ] Sat, 04 February 2012 17:54 UTC Go to previous message
avatar stonysmith  is currently offline stonysmith
Go to my shop
How about if I file a patent on "A government office that issues certificates granting ownership of ideas/methods/objects to individuals."

In other words.. Patent the Patent Office, and then sue the USPO for violating MY patent!

Very Happy

Patience, Persistance, Politeness - the 3Ps will help us get us to Perfect Printed Products

Previous Topic:Materials selection question
Next Topic:Sunlight, heat and melting