Home » Community » General Discussion » Which axis is "up"?
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Which axis is "up"? [message #43126] Mon, 30 January 2012 18:19 UTC Go to next message
avatar markbuchler  is currently offline markbuchler
Go to all my models
I've had a few things 3-D printed through Shapeways, but I'm wondering which axis (x y z) is interpreted by their machines as vertical? I ask this in an effort to orient my parts in the best way to minimize the resolution lines. And I'm assuming that the parts are printed from the base upwards (vertically). Any tips would be most appreciated.

I'm working in Rhino 4, if that is relevant or helpful.

Thanks-
Re: Which axis is "up"? [message #43128 is a reply to message #43126 ] Mon, 30 January 2012 18:43 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Youknowwho4eva  is currently offline Youknowwho4eva
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I work here
I think it may be file dependent. I've noticed most file types are Z up, but it appears that OBJ is Y up. But, that doesn't mean your item will be printed in that orientation.

I learned a long time ago the wisest thing I can do is be on my own side, be an advocate for myself and others like me. -Maya Angelou
michael@shapeways.com Community Advocate
Re: Which axis is "up"? [message #43175 is a reply to message #43126 ] Tue, 31 January 2012 02:03 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar darthviper107  is currently offline darthviper107
Go to all my models
It doesn't matter. They will reorient your mesh when printing so that they can print as many orders together as possible.
Re: Which axis is "up"? [message #43257 is a reply to message #43175 ] Wed, 01 February 2012 01:07 UTC Go to previous message
avatar 7777773  is currently offline 7777773
Go to my shop
I believe Darthviper is correct. I've noticed multiple prints of the same file may appear to have been printed at different orientations.

Previous Topic:Lost Wax casting for other metals
Next Topic:Material Glass

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.