Home » Community » It arrived! » floral locket
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
floral locket [message #43064] Sun, 29 January 2012 22:25 UTC Go to next message
avatar MichaelMueller  is currently offline MichaelMueller
Go to my shop
Hi,

I really like old fashioned lockets which can be opened.... so I tried one. I'm very happy with the result.
Unfortunately, I guess it can't be sold it via shapways, cause multiple objects are not allowed for the materials "stainless steel" and "silver".
There are only exceptions for cufflinks and earrings.
I could split it in two files but this would be kind of confusing for potential customers. Of course it would be also more expensive.
After it was rejected cause of multiple parts, I've connected it to one object. It needed some cutting and polishing but it looks nice now.

I would love to see "lockets" added to the list of "multiple parts exceptions". Any chance for this?

http://www.shapeways.com/openfile/409421/photos/photo67370.jpg
http://www.shapeways.com/openfile/409421/photos/photo67373.jpg

http://www.shapeways.com/openfile/409421/photos/photo67380.jpg

... more infos

Michael Mueller
www.pookas.de
Re: floral locket [message #43066 is a reply to message #43064 ] Sun, 29 January 2012 22:43 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar aeron203  is currently offline aeron203
Go to my shop
Very nice work! I especially like your use of the necklace thread as the hinge pin. It solves what is otherwise a sticky problem that can only be solved by adding bulky shapes. This is very elegant, especially if it could be delivered assembled.

I would like multi-part metal designs to be allowed by simply adding another handling fee for each part. As for the presentation, even if the human effort involved in assembly might incur another fee, similar to the silver polishing, it would be worth it to enable more variety and quality in our designs.

Aaron - 40westdesigns.com/blog
Re: floral locket [message #43072 is a reply to message #43064 ] Sun, 29 January 2012 23:14 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar tiny purple treehouse  is currently offline tiny purple treehouse
Go to my shop
I really like your design! Smart solution with the hinge as said before.

I'm currently working on a locket as well! I didn't know that for steel and you couldn't have multiple parts.. good to know. I hope they will add lockets to the list of exceptions or find another solution..

adorable 3D-printed jewelry
facebook.com/tinypurpletreehouse
tinyblueapartment.blogspot.nl/
Re: floral locket [message #43111 is a reply to message #43072 ] Mon, 30 January 2012 14:40 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar TurtlesAreCool  is currently offline TurtlesAreCool
Go to my shop
I like the open space in the design. Does the hinge allow the locket to stay closed when something is in it?
Re: floral locket [message #43116 is a reply to message #43111 ] Mon, 30 January 2012 15:33 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Thanks for the nice feedback!

I really hope shapeways will add lockets to the "exception list" for "mulitple objects in one file".
I've made an entry in the feedback section about this ...
http://feedback.shapeways.com

The closed locket is pretty strong connected.
There is a pin on the opposite side which has to snap, before you can insert the string.

Michael

http://www.shapeways.com/openfile/409421/photos/photo67374.jpg

Michael Mueller
www.pookas.de
Re: floral locket [message #43130 is a reply to message #43116 ] Mon, 30 January 2012 19:18 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Mary.Huang  is currently offline Mary.Huang
Go to my shop
I work here
Great design!
Love seeing all your stuff.
How about a plastic version as well? You could print it in one piece with a hinge already in place.

Re: floral locket [message #43153 is a reply to message #43130 ] Mon, 30 January 2012 21:50 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Thank you Mary!
I wasn't a fan of the plastic materials so far but... great features, nice price... I'll definitely try it. Smile

Michael Mueller
www.pookas.de
Re: floral locket [message #43172 is a reply to message #43153 ] Tue, 31 January 2012 01:36 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar ceramicwombat  is currently offline ceramicwombat
Go to my shop
First off, beautiful design!

I am surprised that Shapeways is making you print this as two files. My model Pendant Cage is two pieces and I have not had the model rejected. How would my pendant count as OK under the "earrings and cufflinks" clause but your pendant wouldn't? Either both of our models should be printable or neither of them should be.

Earrings and cufflinks are allowed to be printed in pairs because it is traditional, but the processing resources for a pair of earrings or cufflinks would seem to be identical to the processing resources necessary for any two objects of similar size. It should not matter what the purpose of the end product is, the policy should be based on the number of objects in a file.

I propose that Shapeways institute a policy based on the number of objects in a file. Two objects in a file would not increase the handling cost, and each additional object after the second should be a set fee ($3-$4) per additional object.

I don't mean to hijack the thread, I just think Shapeways should be able to print your model in one file. I am adding this to the feedback thread you have already created here.

[Updated on: Tue, 31 January 2012 01:39 UTC]

Re: floral locket [message #43204 is a reply to message #43172 ] Tue, 31 January 2012 10:10 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Ceramicwombat... I like your "Pandent Cage"!
I've already ordered one. Great work. Smile

Michael Mueller
www.pookas.de
Re: floral locket [message #43721 is a reply to message #43204 ] Thu, 09 February 2012 01:45 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar LincolnK  is currently offline LincolnK
Go to my shop
Very cool design!

I have a bunch of locket pendents that I designed that I haven't uploaded because of the rules you mentioned here on SW.

I too would love to see this as an option.

Lincoln

For special discounts and news add us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Craftosterone
www.Craftosterone.com
http://www.shapeways.com/shops/novakingway
Re: floral locket [message #62402 is a reply to message #43721 ] Tue, 19 February 2013 19:08 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Hi,

it took a year but the Floral Locket is now in the shop! Smile
There were a few issues which couldn't ensure the printabilty ... weak walls, multiple objects, a lock that had to be grinded for perfect fit ...
I did some enhancements and got my test-print today. It works really well now! Smile
http://images1.sw-cdn.net/model/picture/674x501_409421_825184_1361300172.jpg
http://images1.sw-cdn.net/model/picture/674x501_409421_825186_1361300184.jpg

Michael Mueller
www.pookas.de
Re: floral locket [message #62403 is a reply to message #43064 ] Tue, 19 February 2013 19:10 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Youknowwho4eva  is currently offline Youknowwho4eva
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I work here
Wonderful!

I learned a long time ago the wisest thing I can do is be on my own side, be an advocate for myself and others like me. -Maya Angelou
michael@shapeways.com Community Advocate
Re: floral locket [message #62475 is a reply to message #62403 ] Wed, 20 February 2013 17:01 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Thank you Mike!

Michael Mueller
www.pookas.de
Re: floral locket [message #62479 is a reply to message #62475 ] Wed, 20 February 2013 17:39 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar DarioScapittaDesign  is currently offline DarioScapittaDesign
Go to my shop
Well done Michael! Smile

Dario Scapitta Design
www.darioscapittadesign.com
Re: floral locket [message #62509 is a reply to message #62479 ] Thu, 21 February 2013 08:43 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Thanks Dario!

Michael Mueller
www.pookas.de
Re: floral locket [message #63054 is a reply to message #43064 ] Fri, 01 March 2013 19:55 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar lensman  is currently offline lensman
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Just upload them as very BIG earrings!..... But, seriously, @ceramicwombat, in answer to your question, there are MANY models breaking the "rules" here and this is something that needs to be addressed.

Glenn

Glenn ------ My Website Third Dimension Jewellery
Re: floral locket [message #63057 is a reply to message #63054 ] Fri, 01 March 2013 20:26 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Hi Glenn,

this thread started a year ago. A few month ago shapways changed the description of the stainless steel design rules to:
"Multiple Part per STL: Yes. Best for earrings and cufflinks--multipart files drastically increase handling costs overall, and we want to keep giving everyone the best price."
I think a pair of objects is no longer a problem. This is acutally great!
Cheers!
Michael

Michael Mueller
www.pookas.de
Re: floral locket [message #63068 is a reply to message #43064 ] Fri, 01 March 2013 23:16 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar lensman  is currently offline lensman
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Yes, that is good news. Nice locket, BTW - and would great if super polished Very Happy

Glenn

Glenn ------ My Website Third Dimension Jewellery
Re: floral locket [message #63086 is a reply to message #63068 ] Sat, 02 March 2013 09:17 UTC Go to previous message
Go to my shop
Thanks Glenn! Smile
Yeah, I hope the rock tumbler will do a nice job!

Michael

Michael Mueller
www.pookas.de

Previous Topic:Silver Valentine's Forget-Me-Not Flower Heart - Finishng touches
Next Topic:Switched Maze by OSKAR

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.