Home » Community » 3D modeler needed » Plastic grid for custom Scrabble board
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Plastic grid for custom Scrabble board [message #42731] Wed, 25 January 2012 18:13 UTC Go to next message
avatar Fj00  is currently offline Fj00
Go to all my models
I have a project that I just started, but unfortunately the modeling programs aren't intuitive, and I don't want to spend hours learning how to use them. I think it should be easy to make, since it is just a bunch of rectangular prisms.

I have an idea to make a custom Scrabble board, bigger than the usual size, 21x21 rectangles, instead of 15x15. The base would be wood. However, I need a special raised plastic grid on top, so that tiles fit inside, and don't move. Here is what it looks like in text:

|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|

Did that work? The lines and dots should be connected, straight, and of plastic. The rectangles in between the lines are open.

Here is a website that makes what I am trying to do, but in the standard 15x15 size:

http://www.customscrabbleboards.com/

I have the dimensions for everything. Each individual cell inside the grid should be 0.75" x 0.8125" of no plastic, with a border of plastic 0.0625". The depth for everything should be 0.0625". The whole grid should come out to 17.125" x 18.4375" x 0.0625". That is:

0.0625*22 + 0.75*21 = 17.125"
0.0625*22 + 0.8125*21 = 18.4375"
Depth of 0.625"

The grid works out to slightly less than 3 cubic inches.

I would buy a thin sheet of plastic and glue the grid onto it.

Can it be made into .stl format? What am I looking at in terms of labor? Thanks.
Re: Plastic grid for custom Scrabble board [message #42732 is a reply to message #42731 ] Wed, 25 January 2012 18:19 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar baltimore  is currently offline baltimore
Go to my shop
The labor would take most modelers about a minute or two, but the print is pretty large (too large?), and might cost a bit. It might even need to be split into four pieces. For this type of project I'd suggest using a laser cutter.

www.Custom3dStuff.com
Re: Plastic grid for custom Scrabble board [message #42735 is a reply to message #42731 ] Wed, 25 January 2012 18:29 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
Thanks for the suggestion. Are there stores that do laser cutting, and I could just tell them the specs I need?
Re: Plastic grid for custom Scrabble board [message #42739 is a reply to message #42735 ] Wed, 25 January 2012 19:34 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar baltimore  is currently offline baltimore
Go to my shop
http://www.shapeways.com/model/452469/

it'll cost $68.91 to print it here. There are online laser cutting services, and for those you'd have to send a 2d drawing. most places charge between $1 and $2 per minute to cut. I'm not sure how long it'd take though, and you might also need to do it in more than one piece.

www.Custom3dStuff.com
Re: Plastic grid for custom Scrabble board [message #42753 is a reply to message #42739 ] Wed, 25 January 2012 21:46 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
Nice, you made it. I actually laughed when I saw it. Thanks. Maybe laser cutting will be better, but at least I have a viable alternative.
Re: Plastic grid for custom Scrabble board [message #42850 is a reply to message #42753 ] Fri, 27 January 2012 04:26 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar mctrivia  is currently offline mctrivia
Go to my shop
I know someone with a laser cutter. They charge $100 startup fee but pretty low cost per part if you need duplicates. If you are interested I can inquire about costs. Sipping may be a problem WSF may be great option as it is flexible and I bet that print could be rolled up

Follow me on twitter http://twitter.com/mctrivia or my blog at http://4ddice.blogspot.com/
Re: Plastic grid for custom Scrabble board [message #42851 is a reply to message #42850 ] Fri, 27 January 2012 04:29 UTC Go to previous message
Go to all my models
Thanks for the response, but I have already found a place that can do it for me locally.

Previous Topic:Would love some help. Trying to do something for charity.
Next Topic:3D Modeler Need for a Custom Rubik's Cube