Home » Community » General Discussion » Sterling Silver: How strong is it?
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Sterling Silver: How strong is it? [message #42508] Sun, 22 January 2012 20:44 UTC Go to next message
avatar Plasticdreaming  is currently offline Plasticdreaming
Go to all my models
I've been tempted to have certain projects made in Shapeways sterling silver as opposed to stainless steel due to silvers smoother surface quality. My only hesitation has been due to the "strength" of the material. Using Shapeways materials listings it shows as only slightly less strong than stainless steel but what does that translate into in the real world?

For instance i have an idea of how Shapeways steel compares to machinable aluminum in strength .

I'd love some insight from members who have projects made of both materials.
Re: Sterling Silver: How strong is it? [message #42569 is a reply to message #42508 ] Mon, 23 January 2012 17:48 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar GlenG  is currently offline GlenG
Go to all my models
I suggest you do a quick Wikipedia search for a basic explanation of what the "strength" of a material really means. It is in fact a combination of several factors that need to be considered and balanced when structural strength is a concern. The overall design of a part and it's intended application also must be taken into consideration. For example: a properly designed truss structure will be stronger and lighter than a solid beam.
As to the difference between silver and the SS print medium. SS is closer to cast steel than to aluminum. It is more brittle than aluminum in thin unsupported sections but it is much stronger under compression. Silver is closer to copper or soft aluminum. Metal terms to discover are: yield point, elongation, and tensile strength.
-G

"Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art."
Leonardo da Vinci
Re: Sterling Silver: How strong is it? [message #42571 is a reply to message #42508 ] Mon, 23 January 2012 18:17 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Youknowwho4eva  is currently offline Youknowwho4eva
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I work here
Along with what Glen already said, I'd compare silver to a Paperclip. It'll flex, and bend, and deform. I haven't broken a piece, but it feels it may be easier to break than aluminum of the same thickness. Of course it's a lot easier to try to break a 10 cent paperclip than a $50 silver print Razz

I learned a long time ago the wisest thing I can do is be on my own side, be an advocate for myself and others like me. -Maya Angelou
michael@shapeways.com Community Advocate
Re: Sterling Silver: How strong is it? [message #42626 is a reply to message #42569 ] Tue, 24 January 2012 01:38 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
Thank you both for your replies Smile.

GlenG wrote on Mon, 23 January 2012 17:48

I suggest you do a quick Wikipedia search for a basic explanation of what the "strength" of a material really means. It is in fact a combination of several factors that need to be considered and balanced when structural strength is a concern. The overall design of a part and it's intended application also must be taken into consideration. For example: a properly designed truss structure will be stronger and lighter than a solid beam.
As to the difference between silver and the SS print medium. SS is closer to cast steel than to aluminum. It is more brittle than aluminum in thin unsupported sections but it is much stronger under compression. Silver is closer to copper or soft aluminum. Metal terms to discover are: yield point, elongation, and tensile strength.
-G

You've mentioned my true reason for asking the initial question: compression (strength). I was going to use the terms yield point, elongation and tensile strength but thought better of it as i didnt want to scare individuals away that actually owned silver but weren't familiar with those terms or related testing methods. The compression "strength" of sterling silver is what i'd like to find out (a number) but i've had difficulty finding it. The others are available though. If you know please share Smile

Also Glen when you mention "soft aluminum" are you excluding 60 series (6061 , 6063) aluminum or would you consider those soft? How would you compare shapeways sterling silver to either of those if your familiar with them?
Quote:

Youknowwho4eva
Along with what Glen already said, I'd compare silver to a Paperclip. It'll flex, and bend, and deform. I haven't broken a piece, but it feels it may be easier to break than aluminum of the same thickness. Of course it's a lot easier to try to break a 10 cent paperclip than a $50 silver print Razz

Thank you Smile
This is the type of "real world" answer i was looking for more or less . Like you mentioned indirectly i'm wondering what the strength of a larger/thicker piece might be . If i could find data revealing the compression strength that would help a great deal.

What type of model do you have that is made of silver? Size? shape?

The information would be greatly appreciated.

Again thank you both.

[Updated on: Tue, 24 January 2012 01:43 UTC]

Re: Sterling Silver: How strong is it? [message #42637 is a reply to message #42626 ] Tue, 24 January 2012 05:27 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Roy_Stevens  is currently offline Roy_Stevens
Go to my shop
Metals are nearly identical in tension and compression. So the yield strength is your number. Compare this with something you're familiar with, such as 6061 aluminum.
6061-T6: 275 MPa
Sterling silver: 124 MPa
6061 no heat treatment: 125 MPa

Earl Grey, hot.
Re: Sterling Silver: How strong is it? [message #42638 is a reply to message #42637 ] Tue, 24 January 2012 06:02 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
johnnylingo wrote on Tue, 24 January 2012 05:27

Metals are nearly identical in tension and compression. So the yield strength is your number. Compare this with something you're familiar with, such as 6061 aluminum.
6061-T6: 275 MPa
Sterling silver: 124 MPa
6061 no heat treatment: 125 MPa

Knowledge rules supreme .

Your my latest best friend Smile

Thank you very much for that insight. It is very helpful.

[Updated on: Tue, 24 January 2012 06:12 UTC]

Re: Sterling Silver: How strong is it? [message #42889 is a reply to message #42637 ] Fri, 27 January 2012 17:20 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
Johnny & Plas,
First let me say I am NOT a formally trained metallurgist or materials engineer. So help me understand how you can say "metals are nearly identical in tension"? Are you saying a silver wire under tension is equal in strength to an equivalent diameter steel wire? Surely not.

As I said in my first reply to the original question, the matter of actual strength of any finished part is always combination of many factors. Foremost in determing the suitability of any material is what/how the part/parts are intended to function. You can read all the charts and data til you are blue in the face and still come up with the wrong answer. If you want to understand the comparative nature of metals or any material, go get some sample materials and play around with them. Take a hammer to them, grind them, file them, melt/burn them. Then most of what you need to know will be revealed.

Tensile Strength of Metals and alloys

Name - -Tenacity Tons per sq. in.-
Manganese steel, cast 38
Aluminum Bronze 25
Phosphor bronze, cast 15 to 16
Muntz Metal 20
Malleable cast iron 15
Copper, wire 25
Copper, Sheet and Bolt 15
Copper, cast 10
Gun-Metal 12
Brass 10
Zinc 3
Cast Lead 1½
Aluminum, wrought, not annealed 14.7
Ditto, annealed 6.0

Leonardo da Vinci
Re: Sterling Silver: How strong is it? [message #42909 is a reply to message #42889 ] Fri, 27 January 2012 20:10 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar stannum  is currently offline stannum
Go to my shop
He said the same in tension and compression cases, for the same material, not that silver is the same than steel. Concrete is not the same in tension than in compression, it's a lot stronger in compression case.
Re: Sterling Silver: How strong is it? [message #42942 is a reply to message #42909 ] Sat, 28 January 2012 00:09 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
Ahh, yes of course, very few exceptions with metals. Actually the SS print media suffers similarly to concrete, or cast iron, in being significantly stronger in compression than in tension. This is where part design becomes an important factor.
-G

Leonardo da Vinci
Re: Sterling Silver: How strong is it? [message #42947 is a reply to message #42508 ] Sat, 28 January 2012 00:57 UTC Go to previous message
Go to all my models
In my application compression is absolutely the most important factor and between the information Johnnylingo provided (or more specifically my interpretation of it), additional research into relatively soft production metals that i've done and Shapeways own Christel (your greatly appreciated! And your associates insight as well! ) i've confirmed my assumptions regarding sterling silver.

Thank you again everyone that chimed in!

Previous Topic:Shapeways wordpress widget
Next Topic:Crowdfunding a Six-Foot 3D-Printed Sculpture in Cement

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.