Shapeways for Dummies

Discussion in 'Newcomers Lounge' started by 66769_deleted, Jan 18, 2012.

1. 66769_deleted
    66769_deleted Member
    :blush:
    I have been a member of shapeways facebook and have had this account a year or so, and I still don't know how to "do" stuff.

I think I am visually challenged. Is there a useful place to start if I just want to learn to build very simple 3d shapes (geometries, cubes, structures).
    I am hoping to one day build my own Genesa Crystals out of wire, until I have a collection. Of course if someone else can build one I would gladly buy it. :p

Where should I start? I am pretty lost when it comes to math and equations. Please be nice. I love this place and I love looking at other creations....amazing stuff :eek:

peace

2. Youknowwho4eva
    Youknowwho4eva Well-Known Member
    For simple geometry start with sketchup or 123D. There's even 3Dtin which is all online, no software to download. And they are all free to use.

3. 66769_deleted
    66769_deleted Member
    thanks for your quick reply. Nervous about the learning curve, :blush: but will try today!! :laughing:

4. Youknowwho4eva
    I've played with all three. It's as easy as can be. Sketchup and 123D it's draw and pull. And 3Dtin is like playing with legos.

5. 66769_deleted
    66769_deleted Member
    I tried google sketchup last night but could not manage it. there is a fear factor in using new software for me. I guess i am a dummy. :cry: This is what I am trying to make.

imgres.jpeg

6. Youknowwho4eva
    It's a little hard to tell the angles from the image, but I'm uploading a model now. I'll post the link when it's available.

7. 66769_deleted
    66769_deleted Member
    thanks for all of your time with this. if you think i should, I might also post this on the commission board. maybe someone wants to make a few extra $$ unless this is an impossible object... :confused

8. Youknowwho4eva
    Not impossible, and you can do that if you want. I've already modeled it and uploaded it. Looks like there may be an issue with uploads today as it's still not in my models.

9. Youknowwho4eva
  10. 66769_deleted
    66769_deleted Member
    that is a great model, but something is slightly off in that it is not fully centered. is the measurement even with all sides? I am sorry if I am not conveying this carefully. when i rotate this the image does not retain symmetry. i will look for the the precise measurements when i get back...

thank you for your work

Y.

11. Youknowwho4eva
    I think I did have an angle off, I think I fixed it. Here's an image from my software, I tried to line it up like the image you uploaded.
    sphere.jpg

12. stonysmith
    stonysmith Well-Known Member Moderator
    I don't think that any two of the rings should ever meet at 90 degrees:
    side.jpg

13. 66769_deleted
    66769_deleted Member
    yes, that is correct :eek:

14. Youknowwho4eva
    So the 90 degree should be there? It's hard to tell with the images.

15. 66769_deleted
    66769_deleted Member
    :blush: this is the thing, and this is why i am leaving this to the more proficient designers than me, because i just do not know. the whole thing is mathematical, and if the geometry does not add up the design does not work. So i don't know which the angle should be, except it should be even and add up to a symmetry...i need a math genius for this one LOL

16. Youknowwho4eva
    I did some research. It's derived from a cuboctahedron. So now I have it right.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2012
  17. 66769_deleted
    66769_deleted Member
    please send other versions and perspectives the green one is very large

18. Magic
    Magic Well-Known Member
    The angle of the planes where the tori lie should be the same angles as the tetrahedron http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tetrahedron
    So there is one horizontal torus, then you add a second one that make a 70.5288° (angle between 2 faces in the wiki page) relatively to any axis on the horizontal plane (say x or y) and finally you duplicate it twice, each time tuning it from 120° relatively to the z axis.
    This should work.

19. JACANT
    JACANT Well-Known Member
    What overall size did you want, and the size of the torus or bands?
    The one in the screenshot is 100mm and the bands are 7.5 x 1 mm
    Genesa Crystal.png

Last edited: Jan 21, 2012
  20. 66769_deleted
    66769_deleted Member
    someone told me on the PM that I should only have one person working on this so I am very sorry i did not know

will contact you each

thanks!