Home » Community » It arrived! » Burlesque Dancer Figure "raw" and painted pics
Search Search  
 () 1 Vote(s)
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Burlesque Dancer Figure "raw" and painted pics [message #42080] Tue, 17 January 2012 01:33 UTC Go to next message
avatar figurebang  is currently offline figurebang
Go to my shop
This was printed in polished WSF and at that scale (she's about 6.5" tall) the details on the face turned out great! The head, body and arms, legs and torso, and base with seat post are all hollow and separate pieces. Spray primed each piece and sanded smooth starting with 400 grit, then 600, and finally with 800, spraying a new coat of primer inbetween. I found this method on WSFP gives you a VERY nice production finish and when painted, looks and feels very "high end"!index.php?t=getfile&id=13472&private=0 index.php?t=getfile&id=13473&private=0 index.php?t=getfile&id=13474&private=0

Re: Burlesque Dancer Figure "raw" and painted pics [message #42101 is a reply to message #42080 ] Tue, 17 January 2012 08:53 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Wahtah  is currently offline Wahtah
Go to my shop
I'm in love! Very Happy
Awesome work...
Re: Burlesque Dancer Figure "raw" and painted pics [message #42103 is a reply to message #42080 ] Tue, 17 January 2012 09:02 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar DarioScapittaDesign  is currently offline DarioScapittaDesign
Go to my shop
What a cool figurine!!! Nice and lovely, and very well painted! Good job! Razz

Dario Scapitta Design
www.darioscapittadesign.com
Re: Burlesque Dancer Figure "raw" and painted pics [message #42115 is a reply to message #42080 ] Tue, 17 January 2012 14:10 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar dizingof  is currently offline dizingof
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert

One word: "Awesomeness" !

http://www.3Dizingof.com
Re: Burlesque Dancer Figure "raw" and painted pics [message #42116 is a reply to message #42115 ] Tue, 17 January 2012 14:13 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar bdeaver  is currently offline bdeaver
Go to my shop
That's one hot virtual vixen! Nice work on the model and the finish. Is she hollow or solid?

bobd
Re: Burlesque Dancer Figure "raw" and painted pics [message #42122 is a reply to message #42103 ] Tue, 17 January 2012 15:37 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Fovea3d  is currently offline Fovea3d
Go to my shop
Very nice modeling and stunning detailing Shocked

I am also trying to obtain a very smooth finish with WSFP or even WSF for larger parts on car models.
With car models, the paint has to be glossy. I use the same technique as you, with primer and sanding. I use Tamiya TS spray cans but I had some reactions with the material (small bubbles). Did you also experienced this? Or do you use water based paints?
Cheers.
Alain
Re: Burlesque Dancer Figure "raw" and painted pics [message #42135 is a reply to message #42080 ] Tue, 17 January 2012 17:34 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Kaetemi  is currently offline Kaetemi
Go to my shop
Looks great!
Nice finishing.

Kaetemi
Re: Burlesque Dancer Figure "raw" and painted pics [message #42180 is a reply to message #42135 ] Wed, 18 January 2012 09:35 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Dotsan  is currently offline Dotsan
Go to my shop
Congratulations great work.
V

www.dotsan.com
Re: Burlesque Dancer Figure "raw" and painted pics [message #42196 is a reply to message #42116 ] Wed, 18 January 2012 18:31 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
She is hollow (no easy feat- especially on the arms!) the head, torso/arms, hips/legs, and seat base were all separate objects. I filled each piece with fine silica sand from the craft store and after tamping it down solid I capped off each opening with 5 min non-expanding epoxy. After each piece is fully painted I glued them all together with the same epoxy and it comes out feeling as heavy and solid as any Sideshow or Electric Tiki statue!
Re: Burlesque Dancer Figure "raw" and painted pics [message #42197 is a reply to message #42122 ] Wed, 18 January 2012 18:51 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Hi Alain, the primer I use is VHT automotive filler primer and I always let each coat cure for 14-16 hours before sanding. The only paint I use on figures is water based acrylic (usually Golden or Vallejo) I airbrushed the skin tones all over first, then did everything else with an assortment of sable brushes. Finished her off with several coats of Testor's Dullcote spray and a light "dusting" spray of clear gloss lacquer to give just a slight specular hit.
Re: Burlesque Dancer Figure "raw" and painted pics [message #42384 is a reply to message #42197 ] Fri, 20 January 2012 22:54 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Fovea3d  is currently offline Fovea3d
Go to my shop
Thank you very much, that will help. I will try with automotive filler.
Cant' wait to see your future work.
Alain.
Re: Burlesque Dancer Figure "raw" and painted pics [message #42446 is a reply to message #42080 ] Sat, 21 January 2012 17:13 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar RicheyRose  is currently offline RicheyRose
Go to all my models
Wow, very impressive. I must try the filler primer with my first WSF model. Been trying to work out how to paint it, although mine are going to be rather smaller.
Re: Burlesque Dancer Figure "raw" and painted pics [message #42476 is a reply to message #42446 ] Sat, 21 January 2012 23:36 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
If it is polished WSF the filler primer works better and requires fewer coats and less sanding. If the print is not polished, be ready for LOTS of sanding and extra filler coats to get totally smooth.
Re: Burlesque Dancer Figure "raw" and painted pics [message #42485 is a reply to message #42080 ] Sun, 22 January 2012 08:18 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
lol, yeah good point, would rather it be finished before 2013. I'm in the UK so will have to try a different brand. Fingers crossed I can find one which works.
Re: Burlesque Dancer Figure "raw" and painted pics [message #42509 is a reply to message #42485 ] Sun, 22 January 2012 21:01 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar stannum  is currently offline stannum
Go to my shop
Try Halfords.
Re: Burlesque Dancer Figure "raw" and painted pics [message #42511 is a reply to message #42509 ] Sun, 22 January 2012 21:24 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
will do. Looks like there's some in stock in my local store.
Re: Burlesque Dancer Figure "raw" and painted pics [message #42829 is a reply to message #42080 ] Thu, 26 January 2012 23:00 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar lensman  is currently offline lensman
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
That has to be the best paint job I've seen here.

Glenn

Glenn ------ My Website Third Dimension Jewellery
Re: Burlesque Dancer Figure "raw" and painted pics [message #42834 is a reply to message #42829 ] Fri, 27 January 2012 00:21 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Thanks Glenn! That means a lot coming from someone with such excellent prints of your own (love the Easter Island heads!)

I just got a commission request for another Burlesque Dancer with a custom paint job- on this one the client wants all the clothing including shoes to look like super shiny patent leather or pvc. I can't wait to get the print so I can start on it!
Re: Burlesque Dancer Figure "raw" and painted pics [message #43988 is a reply to message #42834 ] Tue, 14 February 2012 08:01 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Gijs  is currently offline Gijs
Go to my shop
Amazing, this is probably the best finished 3d printed figurine I've ever seen. You can't tell it's 3d printed at all. What a talent!

www.studiogijs.nl
Re: Burlesque Dancer Figure "raw" and painted pics [message #43991 is a reply to message #43988 ] Tue, 14 February 2012 09:21 UTC Go to previous message
Go to my shop
Thanks Gijs! That is very kind, it's amazing what a little airbrushing and LOTS of sanding can do Smile

Previous Topic:Octo Love Pendant!
Next Topic:Heart Dipping Dish

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.