Home » Support » 3D Design » Overlapping meshes?
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Overlapping meshes? [message #41983] Sun, 15 January 2012 13:32 UTC Go to next message
avatar StewMM  is currently offline StewMM
Go to my shop
Can meshes be overlapped such as when making sprues or does it have to be one constant mesh wall?
Re: Overlapping meshes? [message #41987 is a reply to message #41983 ] Sun, 15 January 2012 14:06 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar stop4stuff  is currently offline stop4stuff
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Yes, meshes can be overlapped.

Re: Overlapping meshes? [message #42002 is a reply to message #41983 ] Sun, 15 January 2012 20:10 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Youknowwho4eva  is currently offline Youknowwho4eva
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I work here
They either have to be one mesh or overlap. They can't sit face to face

I learned a long time ago the wisest thing I can do is be on my own side, be an advocate for myself and others like me. -Maya Angelou
michael@shapeways.com Community Advocate
Re: Overlapping meshes? [message #42003 is a reply to message #42002 ] Sun, 15 January 2012 20:17 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar StewMM  is currently offline StewMM
Go to my shop
So with an overlap the printer just calculates it as a sharp corner and ignores whatever polygons are inside the mesh?
Re: Overlapping meshes? [message #42248 is a reply to message #42003 ] Thu, 19 January 2012 16:08 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar DavdWhite  is currently offline DavdWhite
Go to all my models
I thought the problem with overlapping meshes was with the pricing?

Having 2 objects occupy the same space would double the price because the software calculated the area of each object even though they'd be made from the same printed material.

Is that still a problem? Was it ever a problem, or have I just made that up?
Re: Overlapping meshes? [message #42250 is a reply to message #41983 ] Thu, 19 January 2012 16:14 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Youknowwho4eva  is currently offline Youknowwho4eva
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I work here
That was a problem eons ago Razz. The software now joins overlapping meshes so you do not get charged twice for over lapping geometry.

I learned a long time ago the wisest thing I can do is be on my own side, be an advocate for myself and others like me. -Maya Angelou
michael@shapeways.com Community Advocate
Re: Overlapping meshes? [message #42493 is a reply to message #42250 ] Sun, 22 January 2012 13:25 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar DavdWhite  is currently offline DavdWhite
Go to all my models
Youknowwho4eva wrote on Thu, 19 January 2012 16:14

That was a problem eons ago Razz. The software now joins overlapping meshes so you do not get charged twice for over lapping geometry.

Haha, thats good Smile I didn't realise they'd changed that
Re: Overlapping meshes? [message #42578 is a reply to message #42493 ] Mon, 23 January 2012 18:51 UTC Go to previous message
avatar stonysmith  is currently offline stonysmith
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
There is one issue you should be aware of with overlapping shells.. Please check this thread for a discussion:

http://www.shapeways.com/forum/index.php?t=msg&goto=4196 9&&srch=netfabb#msg_41969

Patience, Persistance, Politeness - the 3Ps will help us get us to Perfect Printed Products

Previous Topic:Millimeter dimensions not saving to model
Next Topic:I need help with the solids in Sketchup

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.