Home »  » 3D Applications » SketchUp Plugins
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
SketchUp Plugins [message #41952] Sat, 14 January 2012 19:44 UTC Go to next message
avatar Twopounder  is currently offline Twopounder
Go to my shop
I've been browsing plugins for sketchup, but as a fairly new user, I'm not certain which ones are actually useful for 3d printing. Maybe we should have an aggregate list of plugins and what they enable you to do (in plain English) for people who are new or still learning.

Error Checking
Solid Inspector - scans for potential print errors and highlights them.

Object Creation
Shapes - quickly generates primitives (sphere, triangle, box, etc).

Export/File Conversion
SKP to STL to export STL files directly from Sketchup

Here is a large number of plugins for making organic models (Organic models are people, animals, plants, etc).

[Updated on: Mon, 16 January 2012 07:44 UTC]

http://fracturedmesh.blogspot.com/ - my 3d modeling blog
Re: SketchUp Plugins [message #41956 is a reply to message #41952 ] Sat, 14 January 2012 21:47 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar denali3ddesign  is currently offline denali3ddesign
Go to my shop
Good idea!

Solid Inspector, for sure.
SKP to STL to export STL files directly from Sketchup

I use lots of other plugins for modeling, they're not directly related to 3D printing

Trouble using SketchUp? Get my book "3D Printing with SketchUp" - http://bit.ly/1jQ4RtV
Re: SketchUp Plugins [message #41957 is a reply to message #41956 ] Sat, 14 January 2012 21:51 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Twopounder  is currently offline Twopounder
Go to my shop
Well, it doesn't need to be directly related to printing, but something that can be useful. For example, a way to rig models so that you can put them in different poses/positions without rebuilding entire sections. That's generally not needed for 3d printing, but people who design miniatures or objects with multiple states could find it very useful.

http://fracturedmesh.blogspot.com/ - my 3d modeling blog
Re: SketchUp Plugins [message #42124 is a reply to message #41957 ] Tue, 17 January 2012 15:51 UTC Go to previous message
avatar denali3ddesign  is currently offline denali3ddesign
Go to my shop
Sketchup isn't really good for rigging models(that's not what it was designed/intended to do), but if you want to do it, this is probably the best way - using layers and copies: Rigging models in Sketchup -Part 1, Part 2, and a video

Here is a list of all plugins hosted on Sketchucation, and at this time is likely the most comprehensive list of Sketchup plugins online. Of course there are many more plugins scattered around the web, but you have to search for them.

Here is a Visual Index of "Must Have Ruby Plugins", with GIF's showing their purpose. (This is where the organic list above originated from)

On that page listed above, here are my most frequently used:
Fredo6 Round Corner - quickly add a bevel/radius to a 3D corner

Fredo6 BezierSpline - draw Beziers and other polylines

Chris Fullmer Shape Bender - bend a 3D object to match a 2D curve

Recurve - select and weld individual segments into a polyline

Not listed on that page, but also useful:
MakeFaces - good for healing small holes in your model

Twilight Render ($99) - make photorealistic renders of your models

[Updated on: Tue, 17 January 2012 15:53 UTC]

Trouble using SketchUp? Get my book "3D Printing with SketchUp" - http://bit.ly/1jQ4RtV

Previous Topic:Materiel that is safe with serving food
Next Topic:Autodesk 123D Capture advice needed

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.