(Great) Experience with DecoArt metallics / triple thick gloss glaze on WSF

Discussion in 'Finishing Techniques' started by fasaxc, Jan 12, 2012.

1. fasaxc
    fasaxc Member
    I used my materials sampler to try out a range of finishes. I'm very impressed by the DecoArt range, which is available in generous sample sizes from Amazon. I bought the "DecoArt DASK282 Americana Finishes Sample Pack", which has a range of different gloss, satin and glittery finishes as well as a triple-thick gel coat.

The image below shows the result of applying sealer, then metallic red paint (from the "DecoArt DASK268 Dazzling Metallics Sample Pack"), followed by 3 layers of triple-thick gloss glaze (2 would have been OK, but I got some streaks in it so I sanded it down and put on another layer). The painted part feels completely smooth to the touch, the glaze completely removes the surface texture.

DSC_9853.jpg

Even though that's a lot of coats, it didn't take very long because this stuff dries really quickly.

The kit seems to be great value as well, the "sample" pots are 2 fl oz / 60ml each. For the price of one (too big) tin of varnish from the hardware store, there are 5 different finishes to try out.

2. fasaxc
    fasaxc Member
    Here's another angle.

DSC_9854.jpg

3. Kaetemi
    Kaetemi Member
    Oooh, that looks quite shiny. A coating gel you say? Wonder how that would look on FCS. Will have to try it if I happen to find that stuff somewhere.

4. Careful. ^^
    This stuff is waterbased, and FCS's colors are not waterproof. You'll probably smudge the colors on the surface if you try to apply the coating gel with a brush.
    But it might work if you seal the FCS model with the Spray Sealer first.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2012
  5. designsoul
    designsoul Well-Known Member
    This looks amazing. It would be great though if Shapeways could offer such services, it would save us all time, money and brainpower. They could start with expanding the WSF with polished and gloss-coated version that looks more like injection-grade plastic. I would definitely order that, it opens up some new territory on the design landscape as well.